• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP letter- two people involved....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP letter- two people involved....

Hello,
    First of all I wanted to say that what have happened was a terrible mistake me and my friend have made. We shoplifted in one of big stores and got caught. It was very intimidating situation and I am sincerely sorry for what I have done. I will fully understand any judging from the forum people. I stole goods for about 4 GBP and I don't really know how much did my friend stole. I am really ashamed of my behavior and I learned my lesson. I can assure that what I've done was just an impulse and I don't do such things normally.
    Today I received a letter from RLP saying that I owe them 174 GBP.
    I was devastated by that information, mostly because I was not expecting any charges (they took a picture of us in the store, took our names and addresses, and let us go- there was no police involved). The security guard I spoken to that day said there will be no further legal actions against us.
    The point is- I received two letters to my address- one for me and the other one for my friend. My friend is currently overseas- does not live in the UK at all. The store had her address (overseas address) but still they sent her letter to me.
    Letter says that we can split charge between us.
    I immediately called RLP to discuss the situation (now I read some posts here and I know that I shouldn't have done it). Women from RLP told me as follows:
    -People from the store are not obliged to inform offenders that they will be charged by RLP (if I knew that this would happen I would probably prepare myself financially)
    -They can put my debt on hold for 3 months (what I asked for and they did)
    -I asked them about splitting the debt- they said it's OK but then I mentioned the other person is overseas. They said that the other person needs to pay from overseas.
    -I asked them what if the other person does not even speak English- they said that I should give them the other person's e-mail, so they can send them payment details and charge and that the other person can use Google Translate to translate their 'simple e-mail' (yes, that's what they said)
    I tried to contact that other person, had chat with them and to be honest I doubt they will pay to RLP. I am willing to pay my 87 GBP as soon as I have some money (I am currently unemployed and practically no source of income, but I also have plans and I don't want any law conflicts).
    After a few hours I called the RLP again and asked them what if the other person doesn't want to pay.
    The answer was terrifying as according to one of RLP employees I am suppose to pay the whole charge. She added 'yeah, I know it may seem not fair but this is our procedure'.
    Important: we are both adults, we are not related in any way, that person lives in a different country in Europe, that person does not even speak English.
    Now the question is:
    Is that even legal they want me to pay the whole charge for both people?
    I am sincerely willing to pay my half and get over it- I seriously got my lesson and do not want to act like that in the future.

What are the consequences for me if I only pay them my half? Will I have a criminal record? Will I have problems with flat agencies/landlords? Can it affect my Student Finance loan?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    I hope there is a solution for that situation.

Re: RLP letter- two people involved....

Hi welcome to LB,
    Please don't worry there will be no judgements here!!

Retail Loss Prevention has no legal status they cannot fine you Or demand money, for them to attempt to collect £174.00 for theft of goods worth £4.00 is out of all proportion.

I presume the items taken were recovered by the store undamaged if so there was no loss.

The whole thing is a nonsense.

RLP cannot make you pay any charge let alone both, these charges are " speculative " invoices that they hope you will be scared enough to pay without question.

The conduct of the RLP employee is awful all lies intended to intimidate you,
    I you wish I can draft a letter for you tomorrow to sort this out.

For now stay off the phone do not contact RLP again.

Let me know by posting here what you would like to do.

nem

Comment

Take the advice above and take time to read up about these parasites on this forum they have no legal powers only empty threats you have made a mistake learn from it and anther lesson is ignore RLP

Comment

Dear Nem,
        Thank you for time and your advice. Yeah, the draft letter would help certainly.
        I just read that letter again and there was something about 'speculative invoices', I attach a pic. I also attach a paragraph where they say about cases in which two people are involved. I seriously don't know what to think about it!
        Attached Files

Comment

its a load of boglocks ignore it just get back on here if you get any more letters

Comment

I would not take too much notice of that letter is is RLP's view of what is right not fact.

Were the items taken recovered in tact??
            nem

Comment

I don't know if items were recovered.
              Items were not broken/destroyed whatsoever.
              We wanted to pay for them but store manager said 'it's too late for that'.

Comment

There is only one advice for dealing with RLP and that is rule 1.. IGNORE rule 2 ... read rule 1
                They have absolutely no authority or power as has already been explained to you.
                They will write to you, send you scary letters written in legalese, pass it to other debt collectors, write even more scary letters and eventually give up.
                AS you have already contacted them you will be flagged up as someone who is frightened so they will redouble their efforts,
                If you should ever receive a letter headed "letter before action" or proper court papers come back for guidance.
                Last time RLP took someone to court (2013?) they got spanked by the judge, and haven't been back.
                Here's a link to that case which will explain the judgement. You might like to read it :http://www.farrarsbuilding.co.uk/lat...-9-May-2012-99
                At the end it includes a link to the case report

Comment

Originally posted by shameonme View Post
                  I don't know if items were recovered.
                  Items were not broken/destroyed whatsoever.
                  We wanted to pay for them but store manager said 'it's too late for that'.
                  Then there is no loss.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X