• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RLP Intended Civil Recovery Questions!?!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RLP Intended Civil Recovery Questions!?!?!

Hi,
    Ok, so firstly i'm sorry if there are many other threads with the answers to my questions, however I wanted to get this right so I thought it best to start my own thread!

Today I was caught shoplifting. £3 worth of goods from Primark (I know, I know). How ridiculous do I feel right now? Very.

Anyway, I was taken into a room to be questioned and admitted to it immediately. The gentleman dealing with me filled out a form containing my D.O.B., name, address and details of the incident. I was asked to show some photographic ID and did so immediately. I was as helpful as possible and didn't waste their time or withold information.

They didn't want to call the police and actually were nice to me considering the circumstances.

They then gave me a letter detailing the Notice Of Intended Civil Recovery from RLP. I have not yet received my fine, but I am fully expecting it.

Basically, my first question would be, do I need to pay the fine at all?

I know companies like this can be very unreasonable and I dread recieving (and paying) a fine of £80 plus, when the item itself was worth £3 and I used approximately 10 minutes of their securities time.

However, I do not want to go to court, so my second question is, how likely is it if I were to ignore their letters that I would be liable for further action?

I am an intelligent and articulate individual and I am more than happy to fight this if I deem the fine to be unreasonable!

Does anyone have first hand experience with this/know enough to advise me?

Thanks for your time!
    Shonam.

Re: RLP Intended Civil Recovery Questions!?!?!

Hi and welcome to LB.
    The advice is always ignore RLP.
    Do not respond to any of their fatuous demands for money.
    They do not "fine" you, only courts levy fines. RLP send demands for money.
    Their demands will last between 9 and 18 months, and they may even pass it to other DCAs (who you should also ignore)
    On one occasion they took two people to court, and received a drubbing from the judge. They have not tried that again!
    Link to court case: http://www.farrarsbuilding.co.uk/cms...-v-B-K_001.pdf
    and a couple of similar threads here on LB
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ght=rlp+oxford
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ght=rlp+oxford

Cease worrying and ignore (unless by some miracle you receive genuine court papers in which case come back here)

Comment

Re: RLP Intended Civil Recovery Questions!?!?!

Originally posted by shonam View Post
      do I need to pay the fine at all?
      I'm going through a similar predicament, beginning some time in March. I haven't [paid the fine] as yet.

how likely is it if I were to ignore their letters that I would be liable for further action?
      So far, for me, I've been told that further action will happen in an x amount of days/weeks but nothing has come to fruition so far.

Does anyone have first hand experience with this/know enough to advise me?
      My first-hand experience is ongoing and I return to these forums each time I need further advice, but so far I've received a number of "threats" but no serious or genuine action as yet. So, I'd say ignore the letters but come back to the forums if anything changes or you need more advice. There are other threads with what I think are still ongoing cases, so you can check some of the recent threads - such as mine - to get an example of what may be coming through your post box in a few weeks-a month.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X