• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting in Boots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting in Boots

Ok, here goes.
    I did something really really stupid today, I stole a nail varnish from Boots. I have never done anything like this before, and just have no idea what I was thinking. I bought some other goods and left the store. I got outside and totally panicked and was trying to think of a way to return it. I feel sick to my stomach and so went into another store opposite where they had a toilet, to be sick and try and work out what to do. I came out of the loo, and a security guard from boots approached me.
    He had the packaging from the product, which I had left in the store, and explained that they had seen me on cctv, and that if I gave it back there would no further action. I broke down in the middle of the other store and eventually after apologising repeatedly and stating that I don't know why I did it, was off work sick with stress, I gave it back to him.
    He said that was it and I should calm down and get myself a cup of tea somewhere or something, and kept telling me it was ok. The thing is he knew that I had bought another nail varnish amongst other things, as I paid at the counter with a card and used my advantage card. So he knows who I am all other relevant info.
    So he told me to go on my way and he went in a different direction so that the shoppers didn't think I was being taken back to boots (he said this) and showed me so much more sympathy than I deserve. He also told me I wasn't being banned from Boots.
    What I am really really worried about is, will the police find out about this? I am sick with worry as my husband is a police officer (I know I am the most stupid idiot known to man) and I am really concerned he is going to find out somehow. We are on rocky ground at the moment, and I don't think he would be able to forgive this of me. I am so very sorry and quite honestly don't know why I would risk doing something like this. My job also would be at risk if I got in trouble with the police. Please help, I'm beaide myself with worry. I'd appreciate any advice at all. Many thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting in Boots

You should do as the security guard said (unusual to hear of a sympathetic one) and calm down.

This is most unlikely to have any further repercussions for you.

Comment

I know that you are probably right, but it's the fact that they have all my information and could still go ahead with a prosecution if they wanted to. Also I can't help but wonder why I have been shown leniency in a situation where I know I deserve to be punished. It's not that I want to be, this has been a huge wake up call, I really need to get my life together, and more than anything make sense of why I did something so risky. I've read threads about RLPs (I think that's right)?!? Will they still send me something like that even though there were no police involved? Will my name pop up somewhere and be recognised by one of my husbands colleagues? It's a fairly distinctive name. I know I should come clean with him just in case, but I can't find the words! So I'm not only a thief but a coward too. I'm so ashamed of myself.

Comment

I think like the security guard who has already noticed you have suffered enough already. Close down the voices in your conscience, enough is enough, and move on! If truly you can think of something you can do about it, do it. If not, don't worry. There are far worse crimes in our world than taking a sample of nail varnish to see if it is any good.

Comment

No doubt you feel absolutely sick with worry but as the chaps have already said you should try and calm down and believe the security guard will take it no further. I have no idea what usually happens but I believe when they intend to prosecute they take you back to the store and hold you there until the police turn up. They would not just assume they could get all your info from the cards you used as they might also be stolen.
          Listen, you had a close shave and thankfully you survived. You are going through a rubbish time at the moment so (and I know you are going to think I am a bit of nutter but….) look on this as a good thing. You had a lucky break today. FACT! You do not need a load of sanctimonious b*****ks about lessons learned etc. because you are not stupid. What happened today frightened the bejesus out of you but you got away with it by the looks of things so breathe a sigh of relief and have a glass of something ‘reviving’. Stop biting your nails or you will have nothing to paint!scared-and-sweating-smiley-emoticon.gif

An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good'!
          ~ Anonymous

Comment

So, I thought that I would give you all a quick update regarding the awful situation that I put myself in last week. It has been a week, and I thankfully have not heard anything further. So I'm hopeful that this will be the end of the matter. I am still thinking about what I did all the time, but I think that this is a small price to pay for my actions, however out of character they were. It goes without saying that I am eternally grateful to the security guard, and I am looking on this as a chance to get my shit together. I just wanted to say thank you to those of you who took the time to listen and respond, when I was going out of my mind with worry! Suffice to say I will NEVER EVER do anything so utterly stupid again! So thank you!!!!

Comment

A lesson Learned Good get on with your life now good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X