• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bank Smart Charges (no agreement with them)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank Smart Charges (no agreement with them)

Hi There,

I am hoping someone can help?

Some time ago my parents received a very official looking letter making claims that a financial body was awarding them money for PPI paid on a very old credit agreement, the letter claimed that a refund would be forthcoming. Nothing followed for some time then another letter came stating an amount and that the cheque would be sent soon. All the numbers seemed right but as it stated info would be sent my parents didn't reply.

Nothing appeared.

Bank Smart then sent an "invoice" for a few hundred pounds. They sent a chaser letter so my parents emailed Bank Smart and sent them a letter saying they have not agreed for them to work on their behalf and have never received any "settlement" to be billed on.

MSI Collections have now started to chase this "debt"

We're wracking our brains but are sure nothing has been signed, I have read into Bank Smart a little and have seen that they pick up "third party" agreements and my parents did look into trying to claim back the PPI on this agreement a long time ago to be told it was too long ago (not with Bank Smart), again we're sure that nothing was signed for any claims management company to do work on their behalf though. As mentioned above we did contact Bank Smart to ask for evidence of an agreement and to let them know a mistake had been made as they'd never received a PPI refund from anyone.

i want to start an official complaints process so this can be sent onto the MOJ etc if there is no resolution.

Is it advisable to write/email a complaint stating there is no agreement and saying we've asked for one before and you haven't sent any evidence so stop contacting us or provide signed t's and c's to prove we are liable for the "invoiced" amount. Or is it best to just state there is no agreement and ask for confirmation this wont be chased?

These guys seem pretty hardcore and appear to be relying on people just coughing up!

Thanks in advance.
    D6

Re: Bank Smart Charges (no agreement with them)

Write to them putting them to 'strict proof' to provide evidence, by way of a signed contract, your Mother or Father have with them.
    Inform them that no money will be sent by your parents until such proof has been established.
    Give them 10 days to reply.
    Send the letter by recorded and signed for post (costs under £2.00)
    Keep a copy of the letter, and keep the post office receipt.
    “The only man who sticks closer to you in adversity more than a friend, is a creditor.”

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and advice, I'll send the letter and get the ball rolling.

Comment

For a Bank to deal with banksmart surely they must have a signed agreement from the account holder with their signature that matches the one the Bank has on record

Comment

If you are sure your parents didn't sign a contract with Bank Smart they cannot enforce any charges against them.

This isn't just basic contract law but a specific regulatory requirement for claims management companies.

A contract between a business and a client must be signed by the client and the business may not take any payment from the client until the contract is signed.
          See sec 11 attached.

Do you have the original letter BS sent your parents and the subsequent invoice?
          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, they have a copy of one of the letters and are sure there is a copy of the original somewhere that they are now trying to dig out and I'm hoping once I've sent them the letter they'll have proof of an agreement and we can resolve things from there (ie get the money owed or find out what exactly they are charging for) or they'll admit no proof and leave them alone.

Comment

We'd like to see the letters if you can post them up when you have them or e-mail them to us.

We have a working relationship with the MOJ so we can put you in touch with the compliance officer for BS.

Comment

Have you got any further dealing with this D6571 ?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X