• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Petition our MP's re MCOL and CCA claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Petition our MP's re MCOL and CCA claims

And I thought Juanking wasa place in China

Comment

Originally posted by ODC View Post
      Bryan Carter would have to seek allternative employment
      Mkdp would be right behind them in the cue at the job center!

Comment

How about this? -

Dear (Sir/Madam),

I write to you as my MP in the hope that you might take a matter of concern to the Minister for Justice.

As you are no doubt aware, during recent times, debt problems have affected a great many people in this country causing major hardship and in some cases serious mental health issues.

It is my position that the way some purchased debts are being handled by debt purchasers is unacceptable, and their appears to be a clear pattern of such companies taking court action as the first option, rather than the last resort.

Whilst this is of course perfectly legal and a course of action open to them, through both my own experience over the past 6 years and the cases I have witnessed on consumer help forums many of these companies appear to be making use of a legal loophole that enables them to issue a claim via the moneyclaim online website without submitting documentary evidence of a legally enforceable debt.

If a debt purchaser was to issue via the normal claims system at a county court, they would be required to attach all documents they seek to rely upon to their particulars of claim, however, when issuing via MCOL the law does not require this.

It is clearly for this reason that many choose to issue via MCOL, knowing that court papers appearing through the door are likely to compel the ordinary man in the street to make payment, even where they have doubts about the legitimacy of the debt claimed.

Again in my own experience, and also that of others I have witnessed, in the majority of cases these claims are dropped once the Claimant debt purchaser is requested to supply evidence of the debt, as most of these debts relate to credit cards and loans, they are required to comply with the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in a very detailed manner (and in fact take detailed actions prior to issuing a claim), but often fail to do so.

We are also seeing a great many cases where clearly the debt purchaser has issued proceedings without first having sight of the documents related to the debt they have purchased from the original creditor, yet have made statements regarding the debt/agreement in a claim form and signed the same.

I therefore strongly believe it would be in the interests of the courts (to reduce the number of groundless or legally unenforecable claims having to be processed, therefore placing increased workload on an already stretched system) and that of the alleged debtor that all claims related to a debt due under a Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulated agreement are required to be issued via the main courts system and have the related documents attached to them.

I would welcome your support in this matter and await your kind response.

Yours faithfully,

X

Comment

I was going to go for us each writing to our MPs individually?
          https://www.writetothem.com/ Thats a great resoures for campaining all MPs councilors and goverment depts. If you set up the requests from google docs ( ss ), you can manage and collate the response easily as well.

probebly worth looking through http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ and hansard, look for MPs that have raised the issuse,
          crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
            How about this? -

Dear (Sir/Madam),

I write to you as my MP in the hope that you might take a matter of concern to the Minister for Justice.

As you are no doubt aware, during recent times, debt problems have affected a great many people in this country causing major hardship and in some cases serious mental health issues.

It is my position that the way some purchased debts are being handled by debt purchasers is unacceptable, and their appears to be a clear pattern of such companies taking court action as the first option, rather than the last resort.

Whilst this is of course perfectly legal and a course of action open to them, through both my own experience over the past 6 years and the cases I have witnessed on consumer help forums many of these companies appear to be making use of a legal loophole that enables them to issue a claim via the moneyclaim online website without submitting documentary evidence of a legally enforceable debt.

If a debt purchaser was to issue via the normal claims system at a county court, they would be required to attach all documents they seek to rely upon to their particulars of claim, however, when issuing via MCOL the law does not require this.

It is clearly for this reason that many choose to issue via MCOL, knowing that court papers appearing through the door are likely to compel the ordinary man in the street to make payment, even where they have doubts about the legitimacy of the debt claimed.

Again in my own experience, and also that of others I have witnessed, in the majority of cases these claims are dropped once the Claimant debt purchaser is requested to supply evidence of the debt, as most of these debts relate to credit cards and loans, they are required to comply with the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in a very detailed manner (and in fact take detailed actions prior to issuing a claim), but often fail to do so.

We are also seeing a great many cases where clearly the debt purchaser has issued proceedings without first having sight of the documents related to the debt they have purchased from the original creditor, yet have made statements regarding the debt/agreement in a claim form and signed the same.

I therefore strongly believe it would be in the interests of the courts (to reduce the number of groundless or legally unenforecable claims having to be processed, therefore placing increased workload on an already stretched system) and that of the alleged debtor that all claims related to a debt due under a Consumer Credit Act 1974 regulated agreement are required to be issued via the main courts system and have the related documents attached to them.

I would welcome your support in this matter and await your kind response.

Yours faithfully,

X
            This has legs. However, a major part of the problem is that court staff (including court legal teams) are given little, if any, training in properly scrutinising claims, often being told to put claims through for listing in any case. Court staff, themselves, admit that there needs to be far more scrutiny of cases coming through the Civil Justice system.
            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I've sent the above to my MP, I encourage others to do the same

Comment

Originally posted by ncf355 View Post
                I've sent the above to my MP, I encourage others to do the same
                It might be an idea to run this past the Campaigns Team at 38 degrees, which has around 1-2 million members in the UK. They seem to be able to mobilise people pretty quickly and have given Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt a battering in the courts. I've just checked the 38 degrees website and there is a campaigning facility to initiate campaigns of the sort you are suggesting. However, this should be additional to writing to MPs.

http://www.38degrees.org.uk/
                Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X