• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anyone managed to successfully get rid of RLP & how???!!! :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone managed to successfully get rid of RLP & how???!!! :)

Hiya

Anyone actually ever managed to eventually get rid of RLP once they started sending demands for money & if yes how did you manage it??? I'm currently trying to do so & any advice/help would be gratefully received - thanks!!!

Jo
    Tags: None

Re: Anyone managed to successfully get rid of RLP & how???!!!

There are 3 ways to get rid of them.

1. Beat them in court. Only know of the oxford case.
    2. Get them to submit. I don't read about it much but speculative invoicers don't do this too much or they get no income !
    3. Wait out the statutory time limit for cause of action. 6 years or 5 years in Scotland.

M1

Comment

If it was me, I'd wait until they had sent at least three letters, send them and their client a "Cease and Desist Notice", followed by a Prohibitory Order (injunction) from the County Court if they ignored it, coupled to an Unless Order. I suspect they would be wary of attempting to have an injunction set aside as they would have to prove they had grounds in law for set aside. A copy of the Approved Judgement in The Oxford Case with an application for an injunction would, in my honest opinion, be very persuasive. Judges do not grant injunctions lightly.

I would, however, avoid seeking an injunction unless it becomes a case of there being no other alternative. Seeking an injunction is not something to enter into lightly and is only justified where it is affecting your health or demands and threats become unacceptable.

That is my view. Other LB members may have differing views.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

I think BB has summed it up succinctly and accurately, if they continue after the cease and desist with phone calls txt and letter log them then send a final warning that as you have a record of X contacts by various methods, any further harassmant will lead to you taking action against them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklingcider View Post
          Hiya

Anyone actually ever managed to eventually get rid of RLP once they started sending demands for money & if yes how did you manage it??? I'm currently trying to do so & any advice/help would be gratefully received - thanks!!!

Jo
          How many speculative invoices and letters have they sent, in total, to date, please? Also, do any of these invoices or letters contain any threats of any description?

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
            How many speculative invoices and letters have they sent, in total, to date, please? Also, do any of these invoices or letters contain any threats of any description?
            I'm up to my second letter from them. Both contain the exact same wording - that I owe them £90 for disruption, losses, etc plus related security and admin costs even though goods were returned (fit for resale), police arrived within 10mins & business went on as normal at the store. They have given me 14 days to provide evidence of why I shouldn't pay or else simply pay up. Failure to do either they are threatening to issue proceedings to take the matter to court where it is claimed I could end up paying £500 instead - all this on the basis that they are claiming their client is legally entitled to the £90/£500. I'm having never ending sleepless nights worried sick every time the postman arrives or the doorbell goes imagining I'll be arrested & carted off to prison!!! :'''(

Comment

RLP is a civil claim and zero to do with the police.

http://www.legalbeagles.info/ApprovedJudgment.pdf

M1

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklingcider View Post
                I'm up to my second letter from them. Both contain the exact same wording - that I owe them £90 for disruption, losses, etc plus related security and admin costs even though goods were returned (fit for resale), police arrived within 10mins & business went on as normal at the store. They have given me 14 days to provide evidence of why I shouldn't pay or else simply pay up. Failure to do either they are threatening to issue proceedings to take the matter to court where it is claimed I could end up paying £500 instead - all this on the basis that they are claiming their client is legally entitled to the £90/£500. I'm having never ending sleepless nights worried sick every time the postman arrives or the doorbell goes imagining I'll be arrested & carted off to prison!!! :'''(
                From what you have said -

1. RLP has not produced any evidence that shows you are liable. That is something they are required to do in order to comply with Civil Procedures Rules 1998. They are, at present, non-compliant with the Pre-Action Protocols and Practice Direction under CPR.

2. What evidence have they produced that proves their client is legally-entitled to what they are demanding?

3. Which retailer is involved, please?

4. Could you give an account of what happened prior to one of the retailer's security goons coming up to you, whilst you were in any back office, what the police did and what happened after your left the retailer's premises?

Answers to 2, 3 and 4 should provide a clearer picture as to what has happened and if the retailer has a case, if at all.

Comment

I'd also like to know the basis for the Rather Litigious Parasites bumping up the claim to £500.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                    I'd also like to know the basis for the Rather Litigious Parasites bumping up the claim to £500.
                    Probably trying to coerce the OP into paying their speculative invoice, Cloggy. It appears to me that RLP and their retail clients have learned nothing from the Oxford Case and it is "business as usual". Sooner or later, I can see people taking out claims against them and their retail clients and giving them an almighty hammering, in the legal sense.

Comment

Court fee is £25 or £35.

Small claims so solicitors costs are limited.

8% pa simple stat interest on the £90 which would be quite small.

They would be really pushing it to get it up to £500 even if they did a)bother to try court and b)win in court.

And seriously don't worry about Prison, you have been 'dealt with' (for want of a better term) by the police already and that is over and done with.

It is entirely up to you if you want to fight this or just want to pay up to get them off your back, if it is affecting you so deeply you are having nightmares and not sleeping then you should put yourself first. Remember though this is the affect they WANT to have to make you pay up and is why most people do I suspect. All we can do is give you the information to help make the decision.

You can view (a rather one sided view of) cases http://www.lossprevention.co.uk/Court%20Cases.aspx
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        They need some dosh for the Christmas 'bash'?
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                        gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                          Court fee is £25 or £35.

Small claims so solicitors costs are limited.

8% pa simple stat interest on the £90 which would be quite small.

They would be really pushing it to get it up to £500 even if they did a)bother to try court and b)win in court.

And seriously don't worry about Prison, you have been 'dealt with' (for want of a better term) by the police already and that is over and done with.

It is entirely up to you if you want to fight this or just want to pay up to get them off your back, if it is affecting you so deeply you are having nightmares and not sleeping then you should put yourself first. Remember though this is the affect they WANT to have to make you pay up and is why most people do I suspect. All we can do is give you the information to help make the decision.

You can view (a rather one sided view of) cases http://www.lossprevention.co.uk/Court%20Cases.aspx
                          In a nutshell, RLP are seriously -

1. deluded; or
                          2. pushing their luck; or
                          3. both.

They are seriously pushing their luck if they think they can get away with what you have highlighted, Amethyst, and deluded if they think a court will find in their favour, something they know has backfired in their faces. What concerns me more than anything is that RLP appear to be under the misguided belief (or is it delusion) that what they are doing is acceptable behaviour.

Comment

Ah ha just got a quote to answer original question - the thread is in VIP - though I'll see about moving it to public now it is concluded.

Originally posted by Seychelles
                            After a year of threats, harassment and countless letters RLP finally backed down in my case. I cannot thank you all enough for your help support and advice, these people should not be allowed to cause the upset and distress they do. After many attempts to request a breakdown of how they calculated the "costs" associated with this incident they refused to provide them, how could I defend myself in court if they would not provide me with the information for my solicitor ????? So they reconsidered my case, consulted with their client ( of course they did!!) and withdrew the charge. note to self always check pushchair to ensure a £3 item has not fallen into the hood and bypassed the checkout while paying for the rest of my shopping !!! RLP you have made my life hell for the past year but I fought and won!
                            #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                              Ah ha just got a quote to answer original question - the thread is in VIP - though I'll see about moving it to public now it is concluded.
                              Thank you for posting that up, Amethyst. Whilst I am happy for Seychelles, I am very angry at what she has been put through by RLP. Their refusal to provide a breakdown of their claim speaks volumes as to its veracity, the premise for making the claim and the inherent legality of RLP's actions throughout. These claims are an agreement between a retailer and RLP, so it is clear two parties are involved. The law is very clear in that an agreement or contract cannot exist, in law, that allows the parties to that agreement or contract to do anything that is unlawful or illegal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X