• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rogue Council Officer Commits Offence: Civil Claim or Criminal Prosecution?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue Council Officer Commits Offence: Civil Claim or Criminal Prosecution?

Hiyas!

I started a thread recently about 'Scumbag' Council's unlawful Suspension of HB/CT, which is still ongoing, but no longer a problem (due to the County Court's involvement).

Sometime after the suspension there was a home visit from a Council Fraud Investigation Officer - which would have been fine had he conducted himself properly instead of being so badly behaved. Complaints have been made to the Chief Executive but he's doing nothing about it. Complaints to The Local Government Ombudsman and the MP have been considered, but neither is likely to take strong action against the Officer. The feeling is that he needs to be punished for his actions, and that that would be in the public interest. What options are open for an individual to make him answerable in a court of law?

His main wrongdoing is that he committed a breach of the peace by causing harrassment, alarm and distress. He then lied to the police and a County Court about the incident. This is a man whose word is relied upon as evidence in criminal proceedings.

I will try to briefly describe what happened: There was some urgent banging on the front door (of a private property in another Council borough) around 8PM and so the occupant asked me to answer it. The man stood there was saying he needed to speak to her, and that he needed to come in. He wouldn't say who he was after a few times of asking, then the occupier, after hearing the commotion, also came to the door (this is when he actually trespassed, in the moment I turned to talk to the occupier, into the porch of the property and started sticking his neck out) whereupon this man started saying to the occupant, 'Are you X', 'That's you isn't it?', 'You need to let me in', 'You don't want the neighbours to hear me chatting your business do you?'. As he wasn't even saying who he was I was told to shut the door on him, which I did. At this time I was under the impression that he must have been a bailiff, such was his eagerness and intention to enter the property. Had he simply gone away at this point we would have been none the wiser as to who he was and what he wanted - and would have been left mystified as to who this stranger was.

As it was he started banging on the door again and began shouting. The occupant rang 999 and the operator even said she could hear him making noise outside. As he wasn't going away, and as the occupant had two teenage daughters in the house who were by now quite alarmed at what was happening, I was compelled to deal with him. I went round the back way and came up behind him as he was still in the porch entrance ranting and banging. I told him to leave the property, which he did.

Only to wait outside until the police came. As an ex-police officer (which it is suspected he is) you might still be friendly and acceptable to real police officers, and this would explain the subsequent actions of the police - there must have been some reason for the police to later supply what amounted to a character witness on behalf of this miscreant, and a character assassination of the complainant upon request of the Council Officer.

When the police arrived their only line of questioning was to confirm the ownership of the property, which the occupier did to their satisfaction. They even wanted to know the location of the deeds to the property! The Fraud Investigation Officer had told the police that Scumbag Council owned the property, which was a blatant lie (isn't this a criminal offence? Wasting police time?). So they let him go and handed in some letters he had had with him. This was later given as the reason for his visit - to deliver a letter.

Requests to the police on how to obtain an incident report have been ignored, but at some point the transcript of the 999 call will probably have to be gotten - along with the notes relating to the incident.
    Had this been your average citizen I doubt that the police would have dealt with it in the same way. What he did was unacceptable for anyone to do, but even less acceptable considering his position and reponsibilities. Scumbag Council's actions in total could be called a campaign of harrassment: along with the incident described above they only desisted with threats of eviction after a court claim was made, and only stopped a liability hearing for non-payment of Council Tax upon threat of a further court claim.

So, what's to be done? The police won't prosecute, so that's out. Is a private criminal prosecution in any way pheasible? What about a County Court claim? If so, under what heading? And is it right to name Scumbag Council as Defendant, as they are vicariously responsible? Only damages in the form of money has been considered, but are there any Orders that could be sought also?

He lied to the County Court in a Witness Statement - anything that could be done about that? His Statement was not at all relevant to the claim - it included a statement from the police referring to the Council Officer by his first name, and addressed to him and stating how well behaved and dressed he was and what a scumbag the house and occupants appeared to be - old buddys they sound like from the tone of it. Oh, yes - and they said he didn't appear to be drunk or on drugs, as was stated in complaints to Scumbag Council (and in the 999 call).

This man needs retiring, and that is what has been suggested to the Chief Exec. There is no lack of stomach for a fight or ability to complete court forms, so this man will be made answerable in one way or another - if court fails then the MP or LGO can be informed. Are there any other standards agencies that would be interested in hearing of a dishonest Fraud Investigation Officer? Or anyone anywhere?

Any relevant info or advice would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by samsmoot; 19th August 2013, 19:07:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Rogue Council Officer Commits Offence: Civil Claim or Criminal Prosecution?

What I am about to say is as a retired policeman.

There is an unwritten rule, once you retire from the police service, that if you see a serving officer requiring assistance, you go to their assistance if you can and vice versa. However, some serving and retired officers take this unwritten rule a bit too far, which is what appears to have happened in your case.

On the face of it, the FIO's conduct is sufficient to constitute an offence under the Public Order Act 1986. However, if the "alarm, distress or harassment" was not in evidence when the police arrived, it is then difficult for them to act, other than to tell the FIO to foxtrot oscar.

From what you have said, I doubt whether it would be realistic to mount even a private criminal prosecution, let alone one at public expense.

As for the actions of the council, what you have described could well be maladministration, given the seriousness of what they attempted to do. I note that the Chief Executive has suggested retiring this FOI and you appear to be in accordance with this. However, that does not address the lawfulness of what the council attempted to do. Those responsible do need to be named and proceeded against or, probably, more realistic, be pointed in the direction of their local Jobcentre Plus office and sent on their way with their P45s in their hands.

Has the council attempted anything similar since, or did the threat of court proceedings put them back in their box?

As to how to obtain a copy of the incident report, write to the Solicitor's Department of the police force involved setting out your request.

What are you intending to proceed against the council and/or this FOI for, please?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, bluebottle.

Just changed the editor to display Mode, so formatting OK now.

The wronged party suggested the retirement - the Chief Exec has done no more than acknowledge the comments made.

Yes, the court claim, and threats of another one made them go pretty quiet. Looks like the judge isn't in a hurry to hear it either, which is fine - and he also suggested that there may be a Human Rights issue or two involved.

Thanks for the info re obtaining the report.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence - not sure how to proceed, but it's to make sure he doesn't commit a similar offence and that it is shown that he lied to the court and therefore should not be trusted by anyone, let alone the police, the courts, his boss and those other council residents subject to his interpretation of events. Some compensation for the distress, harassment and alarm would be in order - but would also be sufficient to make them all look pretty bad (which they are).

There were four witnesses to his behaviour that night, none of them police officers. The fact that he told them that it was a Council property when it wasn't should have caused the officers to disbelieve anything he said from there on in. And he is going to have to explain how his attempt to 'deliver a letter' resulted in the police having to be called - is he even allowed to just turn up unannounced and on his own late at night?

Comment

Although the council employee is clearly a jerk, it is difficult to see any civil claim or criminal prosecution that would have any prospect of success. Your best bet here is to push the matter with the Chief Executive.

Why was this letter so important that it had to be hand delivered at that time of night? If all he had to do was deliver a letter, then why did he want to enter the premises?

You said he lied in a witness statement presented at the County Court. What did he say that was untrue?

It is quite possible that the council employee did not know that the property was privately owned. If it is an ex-council house, a wrong assumption may have been made (I have had this experience myself).

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
          Although the council employee is clearly a jerk, it is difficult to see any civil claim or criminal prosecution that would have any prospect of success. Your best bet here is to push the matter with the Chief Executive.

Why was this letter so important that it had to be hand delivered at that time of night? If all he had to do was deliver a letter, then why did he want to enter the premises?

You said he lied in a witness statement presented at the County Court. What did he say that was untrue?

It is quite possible that the council employee did not know that the property was privately owned. If it is an ex-council house, a wrong assumption may have been made (I have had this experience myself).
          The Chief executive has totally failed to do anything or say anything

The letters should indeed have been posted. The letters were used as an excuse to be there - looks like he wanted to conduct an ad hoc interview on the spot.

Some of the lies concerned saying he was there to deliver a letter, as they only came to light after the police dealt with him. He says the police were called subsequent to the occupier making allegations about his behaviour, as opposed to being in response to his continued shouting and banging at the door.

He made no mistake - one of the letters was addressed to the occupier - but at the council property which she has the tenancy for. And as I pointed out to the police - why would that council own a property in a different borough?

Comment

May as well quote what was sent to the Chief Exec by the occupier:

1. He said he came to deliver a letter: There were two letters, as it turned out, so why say one?

2. He said I refused to accept service of the letter: He gave no indication he had any letters to deliver, so refusing to accept service was an impossibility. Why I needed to accept service of the letter, as opposed to it being posted without incident, is not explained by Mr Y.

3. He said 'service' of a letter: The letters needed no 'serving', they just needed 'posting'. So that is three lies in relation to the letter(s) alone.

4. Mr Y says I made 'various allegations' regarding his behaviour, then called the police: No, I did not make 'allegations'. After having the door shut on him due to his behaviour (described in my letter of the 19th) I then called the police.

5. He says that police officers confirm that they did not find his behaviour unacceptable as alleged by me: This is also a complete and utter lie, as the police were not there to witness the unacceptable behaviour of Mr Y. The fact that he had desisted in his shouting and banging by the time the police turned up is neither here nor there.

6. The police state that Mr Y was 'in the process of attempting to serve papers of (sic) the occupier': So, as he actually had no papers to 'serve', he has also lied to the police, which is quite a serious matter, do you not think?

7. The police state that he was attempting to deliver 'some sort of warning letter regarding tenancy': Once again, no he wasn't, so another lie to the police from Mr Y. No attempt to deliver any letters was made - had he attempted to deliver a letter he could have easily accomplished this very easy task without any problems at all.

8. This is the biggest lie of them all: He told the police that the property belonged to Scumbag Council, and most of the conversation when the police arrived concerned the whereabouts of the deeds to the property. The police were asking me to prove ownership with documentary evidence, such was their conviction that the true owners were Scumbag Council. Where did they get that idea from? The answer is the liar, Mr Y. The evidence for this will be in the Police Notes, which I am in the process of securing.

Comment

Originally posted by samsmoot View Post
              The Chief executive has totally failed to do anything or say anything
              Try again.

Write, expressing 'your regret that he has yet to provide a satisfactory response to your complaint'. Send moderately worded and carefully framed letters that set out your complaint.

If necessary, you can then escalate to the ombudsman, but what you have to do is lay the groundwork. When you write to the CEO, write in anticipation of the ombudsman reading it later. The more unreasonable they appear to be, the better.

The letters should indeed have been posted. The letters were used as an excuse to be there - looks like he wanted to conduct an ad hoc interview on the spot.
              Agreed.

He says the police were called subsequent to the occupier making allegations about his behaviour, as opposed to being in response to his continued shouting and banging at the door.
              To whom did he say the allegations were made to? It couldn't have been the police, because they were 'called later'.

He made no mistake - one of the letters was addressed to the occupier - but at the council property which she has the tenancy for. And as I pointed out to the police - why would that council own a property in a different borough?
              Nice!

Comment

He didn't say who the allegations were made to - just that they were made.

Please note that the Ombudsman would be the last resort - and so the last letter to the CE said the appropriate court for bringing a claim is being looked into, as he had offered no suggestion, or response to the police report he said he would obtain, or anything else. If a threat of the Ombudsman was made I don't believe it would bother him one little bit. So, good suggestion, but it's a court hearing which is in mind when writing these complaints. That's how I approach almost all grievances - what would the court like if it got that far?

Comment

Exactly what would your claim be for? Where is the criminal offence? I see nothing there that the court would willingly entertain. Bear in mind that the court takes a very dim view of trivial complaints.

As previously suggested, your best bet is to strike at the council by pursuing a complaint of maladministration - they have received a serious complaint and failed to investigate it adequately. This puts the Chief Executive directly in the firing line.

Comment

Could the conduct of the FOI and/or the council be realistically described as being a course of conduct amounting to harassment? How many times has this FOI and the council engaged in this sort of behaviour and what is it that they are hoping to achieve?
                    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by enquirer View Post
                      Exactly what would your claim be for? Where is the criminal offence? I see nothing there that the court would willingly entertain. Bear in mind that the court takes a very dim view of trivial complaints.
                      This is what I am asking about - what type of claim should be made?

As bluebottle pointed out, 'On the face of it, the FIO's conduct is sufficient to constitute an offence under the Public Order Act 1986'. The FIO's behaviour caused harassment, alarm and distress - which amounts to a breach of the peace - a criminal offence.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                        Could the conduct of the FOI and/or the council be realistically described as being a course of conduct amounting to harassment? How many times has this FOI and the council engaged in this sort of behaviour and what is it that they are hoping to achieve?
                        This was the only act of its kind, but they also threatened eviction because of non-payment of rent, which they know they are unlawfully keeping instead of paying it. And there was that threat of a Liability Order for non-payment of Council Tax, which they are also unlawfully withholding.

They had a purge on unoccupied properties, and they want the tenant out due to their misconception that fraud has taken place.

The judge at the hearing mentioned that there may be human rights issues involved, so he seems to veer towards there being more to it - possibly harassment, like you say, bluebottle, is a realistic description of what they have done - how would that impact things? If it did amount to harassment?

Comment

Originally posted by samsmoot View Post
                          As bluebottle pointed out, 'On the face of it, the FIO's conduct is sufficient to constitute an offence under the Public Order Act 1986'. The FIO's behaviour caused harassment, alarm and distress - which amounts to a breach of the peace - a criminal offence.
                          And a crime which is so very serious that it might result in a Conditional Discharge or even a Binding Over order.

Comment

Are there no windmills where you live?

Comment

Just will mention that the LGO, like all regulators, are perceived in these quarters as being no more than a front for covering things up. This isn't something I just invented - it's years of experience that tell me so.

The Council will not, I believe, be scared of the LGO - but will not like court at all. And in my experience most CC judges act fairly and impartially - and when whoever is in the wrong starts lying, they will be found out - and punished.

So, bringing some kind of claim is what I am asking about - as there was no physical harm caused, can a claim for damages still be made? As there was a criminal offence, is the distress, harassment and alarm caused sufficient to obtain damages? How about damages caused through misfeasance? Basically a heading for the claim is needed - the facts will speak for themselves.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X