• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can one resign before an investigation starts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can one resign before an investigation starts?

Originally posted by leclerc View Post
    I kinda agree with the last point you've made cos we are speculating on the basis that they "might" be an investigation and disciplinary meeting which has yet to commence.
    Exactly, everything at the moment is mere speculation and we can only speculate as to what the content of the text was whether it was "incriminating" or not and speculate as to whether the employer has seen the text or is simply relying on hear say accusation included in a written or verbal complaint. If its hear say then i don't see the need for a disciplinary and a mere informal chat asking about any text being sent and the content of that text would suffice, along with advice on what to and not put in such text messages.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

For the employer to start a disciplinary, they must inform the employee of their right to be accompanied.
      This has not happened.
      Therefore dismissal under these circumstances may well be 'unfair'.
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
      Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
      gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
      The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Indeed it would be charity - Section 12 of the Employment Relations Act 1999 - http://www.xperthr.co.uk/article/104...dismissal.aspx

So no qualifying period for tribunal is required for automatic unfair dismissal!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
          Indeed it would be charity - Section 12 of the Employment Relations Act 1999 - http://www.xperthr.co.uk/article/104...dismissal.aspx

So no qualifying period for tribunal is required for automatic unfair dismissal!
          Not just a pretty face, eh!

(Whatdya mean, even?)
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

I would approach the employer and see if they will go for a compromise agreement, they're going to want to take action which is likely to be dismissal in my view.

Despite the points raised about making a decision before the investigation they could remedy this now by carrying out the "reasonable investigation" that they have to and would be one persons word against another in any event.

I would suggest putting forward a without prejudice offer of compromise agreement with notice pay paid, an agreed reference in order to save costs of a hearing and an appeal etc. I would though suggest that this may be unlikely because the risk to the employer is less because the OP has been employed less than 2 years. The benefit to the employer is resolving the issue and getting a confidentiality clause contained within.......

Or the alternative is that I would cooperate fully with the investigation and apologise the full way through and at every opportunity say that it won't happen again.

Comment

Oh and I forgot to say, by resigning it doesn't mean a subsequent disciplinary goes away, that's why I recommend exploring the above. The hearing can take place in your colleagues absence and he can be dismissed which would be obviously given in any reference request.

Comment

Originally posted by orfoster View Post
                Oh and I forgot to say, by resigning it doesn't mean a subsequent disciplinary goes away, that's why I recommend exploring the above. The hearing can take place in your colleagues absence and he can be dismissed which would be obviously given in any reference request.
                Thats sort of true - I say sort off, because if they accept his/her resignation, then they have agreed to mutually terminate the contract and therefore can not proceed with disciplinary after the date of termination (last date worked in notice period, if not resigning with immediate effect)

in Cox v Sun Alliance Life Ltd [2001] IRLR 448 it was held that an employer will be negligent in providing a reference that alludes to an employee’s misconduct unless the employer had carried out an investigation and has reasonable grounds for believing that the misconduct had taken place. The Court of Appeal held that the following approach is appropriate:

• The employer had a genuine belief in the employee's guilt;
                • It was reasonable for the employer to hold that belief;
                • The belief was reached after the employer had carried out a reasonable investigation.

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/employment-law-40 - you will find details of the cox case half way down the page.

As for remedying what was said about them deciding to already dismiss him/her by holding the investigation - Well the whole point is that after what was said (if it was true what the manger said), it would be a biased investigation anyway. So until we actually know what exactly was said in the text and if the employer has evidence off the text, other than the complainants hear say allegation, then the employer is in my opinion on very thin grounds if they intend to rely on hear say alone. Especially when it could be easily argued that the complainant only made the complaint and the allegation out of anger due to the fact he/she didn't get what they wanted, if the employer is only relying solely on hear say. So we already have a motive as to why the customer made said allegation.

So if employer has no evidence other than an hear say allegation made by a disgruntled customer that didn't get what they wanted and therefore appear to be a sore loser, then the employer is taking a big risk if they dismiss the employee - same if they give him/her any formal warnings in my opinion!

Comment

As jonesjones (OP) has not commented for 5 days maybe we should wait to get furthur information before debating any more?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X