• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Made redundant, they are advertising for my job before and still are after.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Made redundant, they are advertising for my job before and still are after.

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
    As I keep commenting, they are employers and not social workers. They don't really care about your childcare issues, your elderly parent, your disability, your sickness, or anything else that isn't about making a profit for them. If it costs them, it's bad.

Thats not fair, not ALL employers are that way inclined many of us small to medium business owners bend over backwards to help and accommodate our staff with whatever problems arise and more then often end up getting sh ite on from a great height because of it.
    Yes - and so do some large employers. But in the final analysis, if you are willing to put your employees before your profits, then you shouldn't be in business. You can afford to be nice as an employer as long as it pays you to be. I am not being at all judgemental about that, simply stating facts. Remember I have also been an employer - and I think quite a good one. But I am not oblivious to the fact that I was an employer in order to make money. It wasn't just me that benefited from that either - making money was what kept people in the jobs that they had. But being a small employer too, I was also very much aware that I could not carry lengthy maternity with full pay, lengthy sick leave with company sick pay, and employees who couldn't perform their jobs. We created a balance, something we could all live with, and managed through give and take. But if the profitability of the company had been in danger, make no mistake, I would have acted to protect the profit. The reason why so many small businesses go under so very quickly is that people just don't realise that being an employer isn't easy, and it involves some hard knocks and some hard choices. The only way to avoid that is to be a "one man band" - then the only person your are exploiting is yourself. And knowing a few of those, they most certainly do - long hours, worries about income, few holidays... I neither like nor dislike employers, and I have no great campaign against employers per se. I am perhaps more realistic than many because I see both sides. So it isn't a judgement, just an observation. Now capitalism, on the other hand, I have plenty of judgements about!

Comment

As you know we are small - medium, I like to think that we have struck a nice balance with the staff and have instilled into them that we all have to give and take, if lady (a) wants time off for her little ones school play then fine but she knows that she has to cover if lady (b) wants to have time off and vice versa. When we want time off for our holidays then they know they have to work the extra time and they get paid handsomely for it.
      For us most of the time it works, yes we have the odd hiccup but its nothing that can't be sorted out over a cup of tea or coffee.

However years ago we did have a sunbed shop as well as this business, we had a beautician that worked for us, I won't go into what went on as it would take forever and a day but suffice it to say she was a complete nightmare, and one Friday night she pushed me one bit too far, I flipped and she was given her marching orders.

Comment

Originally posted by Sapphire View Post
        As you know we are small - medium, I like to think that we have struck a nice balance with the staff and have instilled into them that we all have to give and take, if lady (a) wants time off for her little ones school play then fine but she knows that she has to cover if lady (b) wants to have time off and vice versa. When we want time off for our holidays then they know they have to work the extra time and they get paid handsomely for it.
        For us most of the time it works, yes we have the odd hiccup but its nothing that can't be sorted out over a cup of tea or coffee.

However years ago we did have a sunbed shop as well as this business, we had a beautician that worked for us, I won't go into what went on as it would take forever and a day but suffice it to say she was a complete nightmare, and one Friday night she pushed me one bit too far, I flipped and she was given her marching orders.

​YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD NEVER TELL msl:

Comment

I have rarely ever needed to discipline anyone - more like order them to go home. But my nightmare employee (of two close competitors) was the legal secretary we employed. Great qualifications, great employment history, great references. But within a week we were all "duh?" because she didn't seem to understand basic practices or instructions, made fundamental mistakes etc., and by week two it was "well this seems a bit more than settling in problems", and by week three I had a strange feeling I couldn't shake off... So I checked her qualifications with the examining bodies. Then I checked her employment history. Then I checked her referees. Everything was forged! And really well forged too. She had even got a friend to post a couple of letters from work for her (yes, the references!). It turned out that she was a habitual ... well I am not sure what the word is. She took a fancy to a career and then forged her way in. And generally within weeks was thrown out again. When found out my us, she resigned immediately. I refused her resignation without notice and suspended her, then dismissed her and reported it to the police. Three years later she was prosecuted for pretending to be a nurse - she'd forged everything again and convinced a GP surgery that she was a nurse! Now that was the employee from hell!

Comment

Blooming heck that was the employee from hell!!!! Lets hope she doesn't decide to become an airline pilot - knowing the way my luck is going i'd be a passenger on her plane!!!

Its amazing how creative people can be - its such a shame they don't channel it in the right way, they could achieve amazing things if they applied themselves properly!!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X