• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Poochie and WFS Summary

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poochie and WFS Summary

welcome finance help needed - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

I am trying here to summarise 24 pages of posts into one brief understandable post having just spent nearly 5 hours reading everything.

Bits are skipped but the main gist is this:

Poochie (OP) took out loan with Welcome (WFS) secured against their house in 2005. The OP is in a Trust Deed (Scottish IVA). WFS loan for £15000 over 120 months.

WFS added ppi and medicare as a condition of loan.

Another site told OP agreement was unenforceable (UE), but actually only UE on technicalities unlikely to stand up in court. OP advised to keep paying but report to FOS.

OP missed four payments with WFS permission on the understanding this loan would be extended by 4 months.

WFS failed to meet FOS deadline of 7 weeks to make offer. Soon after WFS accepted mis-sold ppi and sent a new agreement with a different interest rate , T&C's and no figures filled in asking OP to sign it. OP refused.

Jan 2010 WFS stop taking payments by Direct Debit from OP's account. Since then OP has tried paying by DD and debit card, but WFS have refused any payment.

After much to-ing and fro-ing FOS asked OP to sign new agreement with no figures filled in at all.

OP started reclaim for mis-sold ppi and complained to FOS. Clear dispute over refusal to sign a blank agreement and WFS refusing to process much till they receive this form signed.

May 2010 OP had cheques from WFS £101.28 for overpayments. £549.32 for something unknown (remains uncashed)

Nov 2010 DCA sends OP letter saying £14980 owed

Dec 29 WFS offer compensation of £7188.02 and agreed to write off some, but not all charges.

Jan 2011 WFS give OP 7days to agree or they'll withdraw compensation offer. OP asks for another 21 days to consider.

Aug 2011 Back to FOS who eventually tell OP to sign new agreement form still with no figures.

On top of this the statements sent to OP in an SAR simply do not add up at all.

OP has tried everything. FOS acting bizarrely by expecting OP to return a form with no figures at all written in.

Now DCA threatening action, OP in terrible state having done everything possible to try to resolve and maintain payments with WFS. Very scared and worried that house will be repossessed.

My opinion is that WFS are in such a mess due to their own situation with Cattles, so things are all over the place. If it went to court I cannot see how the OP could lose, and think the judge would think WFS were wasting court time trying to bring a case.

FOS are often useless and have turned out that way despite some promising action earlier on in the case.

Trust Deed (IVA) people backing OP to the full and agree that any court action against OP would be a waste of WFS time.

For those who've read the whole thing apologies for bits missed out, but have tried to convey some main points and the fact that Poochie has done everything possible. WFS are apparently using delaying tactics or deliberate misrepresentation.

Hope this is useful for anyone wanting to contribute without spending the time I just have!
    Last edited by Celestine; 28th August 2011, 22:07:PM. Reason: inserted link to poochie's thread for background info
    Tags: None

Re: Poochie and WFS Summary

Wow, well done Caspar and Wow, what a bloody mess Welcome and the FOS have made of Poochie's life. The post above really helps set everything out clearly.

So virtually zero risk of court action, let alone repossession??

What are the best next steps? To give Poochie some peace of mind?
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

I am concerned that the OP has this loan secured on their home, which is therefore at risk. In view of the seriousness of this situation, I would urge the OP not to rely only on this or other forums but to try to at least obtain a free or fixed fee initial interview with a solicitor or insolvency practitioner.

One means by which they could obtain this is to join the Bankruptcy Association (you do not have to be bankrupt or going through bankruptcy to join, they offer help and support with any serious financial difficulty) as they offer as a service to their members a written opinion for a nominal fee from Carrick Read Insolvency (a very reputable and debtor-friendly firm) in any difficult legal matter:

Bankruptcy Lawyers | THE BANKRUPTCY ASSOCIATION

This is some of the best value legal advice in financial probs I know of, in terms of high quality expertise and modest cost.

Comment

In the meantime, i) if the pressure to pay the large lump sump and/or threat of litigation is coming from a DCA, the OP could send a 'Prove It' letter; and ii) if she/he is under a Trust Deed, they should consult with their Trustee further - it sounds as if the Trustee is backing them up on this issues.

Comment

I too would recommend that the OP seek qualified legal advice. There are a number of reputable solicitors that will take cases based on 'no win no fee' who won't rip you off or ask for advances, happy to recommend the one I used to beat off Wescot if someone wants to PM me.
          Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity. (Motto of the Kings of Scotland)

Comment

£549.32 was interest on overpayments paid directly to the loan.

The offer mentioned was one that should be accepted but the issue was that a new loan agreement was sent out with a different interest rate. As Righty has stated, welcome should not need a new agreement to be signed because they should be refunding any PPI payment and interest(contractual) and 8% simple interest minus any arrears on the account which effectively means that the DCA would be out of the picture.
            The issue with the FOS is about the calculation of redress, ie that the redress was in dispute and therefore that issue could be resolved at once since no new loan agreement is necessary, merely an amendment to the existing loan.

The new loan they sent out that had an increase interest rate is something that simply is not in line with FOS Guidelines.
            how does the ombudsman approach redress where a PPI policy has been mis-sold?

See the 5 considerations which I think will cover your complaint.

However, the FSCS is now dealing with complaints from that period of time so their redress will only be at 90% and will only be paid onto the existing loan. I am not aware if they will restructure the loan either.
            FSCS As for Welcome Financial Services Limited
            "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
            (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

firstly i want to say a very massive thankyou to casper for taking so much time to put together the summary above..... i am so grateful and very touched that you actually spent so much time on this for me and to get more feedback and advice for me.

thankyou...thankyou and thankyou very much.
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              for springer spaniel...I dont mean to sound rude or anythin and i do appreciate your input and advice, thats what I come on this forum for.... so thankyou but i dont understand wat the bankruptcy thing could do to help as we are in a trust deed and our trust deed advisor would have all the info the same as the bankruptcy place would he not?
              the trust deed advisor has contacted welcome and cattles several times and been told we will recieve mandates in post or they will call us etc but they never do.
              Trust deed advisor has told us to keep everythin inw riting and we always send him copies of letters, default notes, or anythin welcome send but they only send default notices now.
              Last edited by poochie; 29th August 2011, 20:25:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Hi Poochie,

I think you have misunderstood Springer's post. The Bankruptcy Association was not mentioned in any way with regards to you pursuing the route of sequestration, rather that for the sum of just £50.00 you can get access to exceedingly high quality, professional advice on things of this nature. I believe all of us here would share the view that this would be a very prudent way forward for you.

At the end of the day, your home is at risk and you should not be relying solely on the advice of well intentioned people seeking to help. Sometimes professional, legal help, especially if it keeps a roof over your head, is the best way forward.

Comment

casper thankyou forclarifying that.....it did confuse me but then with all this nonsense going on my mind is in turmoil...
                  i will definately look into that and let you know what happens. i will do anythin to sort this nonsense out because my nerves are in tatters and all we want is to get it sorted and pay our loan off.

thanks again to everyone....very much appreciated

Comment

If you pursue the link from Springer, I believe that for just £50 you get about £1500 worth of high quality legal advice. Springer most definitely knows what she's on about.

Comment

does the link help me if im in scotland tho?

Comment

have just checked my e-mails and have had response from welcome to my e-mail askin why empingham have the right to take over our account.... here is their reply..... i have edited my personal info tho...

lucy ash ppi claim/welc​ome

To **************@hotmail.com

Dear ***********

I am sorry for the delay in replying to your email, however please be assured that your query is being looked into and a response, or update will be sent to you within the next five working days.

Yours sincerely

Thomas Szymkiw
                        FSCS Operations
                        Welcome Financial Services Ltd

>>> ***************@hotmail.com> 19/08/2011 20:36 >>>

i am writing this e-mail to enquire as to why we have had company called empingham debt recovery writing to us and asking us to contact them to start making payments to them instead of welcome finance.
                        Can you please explain how this can be allowed when our account is in dispute and still with the FOS?

We want to settle this matter as soon as possible but we get no replies to our letters and i wont phone now because i prefer all communication in writing for our own records.

please explain this to us as well as well as confirm this is allowed whilst account is in dispute..........

thankyou

------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                        I also had reply from empingham asking for an outstanding balance figure...this is their reply...

alex tyler empingham debt agency

To ************

Good Morning,

Your current balance is £14114.94.

Your account has been on hold for 3 weeks, I am unable to hold this any longer with out payments.

Please call to make a token payment. 01536 276 441.

Thank you

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Alex Tyler
                        Collections Adviser, Empingham Ltd

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT][/FONT]([FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Tel : 08432 183 827[/FONT][FONT='Bliss Regular','serif']
                        [/FONT]
                        7[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Fax :[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']0845 2 60 60 86[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
                        [/FONT]
                        +[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']www.empingham.net[/FONT]
                        Last edited by poochie; 30th August 2011, 19:52:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The BA cover the whole of Great Britain and Ireland. They used to recommend a very good solicitor in Glasgow, I do not have his details with me (I still have a lot of my belongings in storage) so could not pass them on directly but am aware of this service which the BA offers its members. They now use Carrick Read Insolvency who are a very good and reputable firm. The current senior bankruptcy judge in London used to be a partner in their firm.

The BA is experienced in helping Scots in debt and with financial difficulties, you do not need to be in or consideering sequestration to be eligible to join.

Comment

I would be inclined to send Empingham a copy of the letter from WFS and say that until WFS, as the Original Creditor, respond to your query it is clear to you that even WFS think it could be an error so you will not be making any payments, token or otherwise.

If they do eventually start court proceedings (a very big IF), then you simply apply to the court for a stay pending the result of the FOS decision.

Comment

thanks guy... I appreciate everyone who takers time to offer advice and help..... thanks so much and yes i will send empingham a copy of welcomes e-mail.

thanks so much guys

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X