• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Toilets at New Street Station: Do You Have to Pay?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilets at New Street Station: Do You Have to Pay?

Well, yes, you do have to pay...or do you?

Once past the ticket barriers the only toilets require you to pay 30p admission. My girlfriend insists she knows a thing or two about public toilets, and says sometimes they have to be provided free - and she thinks New Street are wrong in charging to use theirs. I agree, and think it very unfair that you have to pay - I'd like to know what the law says on the provision of public toilet facilities in general, and in this particular instance.

They have a sign - it says something like, 'Anyone attempting to use these facilities without paying will be asked to leave the station'. Now, as I'm typically British I'm reluctant to disobey any sign, so before I get myself arrested, how do we stand (apart from with our legs crossed)?

One relevancy might be the cafe and pub they have on the station - surely they would need to provide free toilets? I can't see that either have their own facilities, so patrons would have to use the pay ones on the station - unless they give out tokens or something.

If I did happen to jump the barrier: should I expect to be wrestled to the floor by the police, or would it be a civil matter?
    Tags: None

Re: Toilets at New Street Station: Do You Have to Pay?

You could try to get the facilities closed, but then you haven't got anything to go on, have you?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Local authorities are allowed to charge for toilet provision under the Public Health Act. 1936. I think though they arent allowed to charge for urinals - which is a tad sexist if that's true.

We had a discussion on toilets provision and surrounding law and guidance a while back, I think to do with the number of male vs female toilets.

Yip - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

(funny @cnjw )

ooo look heres some pictures of the toilets in question - Birmingham New Street Station - Female Toilet

and oddly this document is quite fascinating. http://www.parliament.the-stationery...oc/636/636.pdf
      Last edited by Amethyst; 22nd March 2011, 10:39:AM.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

well yes you are supposed to pay, however, if you push against the barrier it turns quite easily and lets you through......so I am led to believe, not of course that I have ever tried it
        Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
          well yes you are supposed to pay, however, if you push against the barrier it turns quite easily and lets you through......so I am led to believe, not of course that I have ever tried it
          When you gotta go,......................................:tinysmil e_grin_t:
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Its all crap to me :grin:

In all seriousness if I need to visit the loo, whether for a widdle or a poo, I wouldn't care if it cost a pound as long as I could go and the place was clean.

Comment

Seen at New St. Stn, (not!)

Campaign for free loos - please sign the partition lol
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

http://www.teignbridge.gov.uk/CHttpH...shx?id=602&p=0

Please see point 2h.

I cannot believe that I have researched such waste
                "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I remember in Amsterdam we sat outside a bar and had few beers as you do. After a while I needed the loo as you do lol.
                  So off I went, and to this day I don't know how I navigated the 'Spiral Staircase' whilst full of premium lager and bursting for a wee. Safely at the loo door what faced me but a coin slot, had to stagger all the way up for my money and all the way down again so I could relieve myself.
                  Never again, be prepared lol as the scouts say.

Comment

There appears to be two 2h's - efficient, aren't they lol
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                      There appears to be two 2h's - efficient, aren't they lol
                      Yet only one referring to charging so that must make the report completely shiite
                      "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
                      (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

You could suggest a money-saving & environmentally friendly proposition to them.

1/ Punch a hole in the corner of the report.
                        2/ Attach a bit of string.
                        3/Hang it up in the WC....................
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

I remember in Amsterdam we sat outside a bar

Thats a hell of a way to earn a living Di msl:

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire View Post
                            I remember in Amsterdam we sat outside a bar

Thats a hell of a way to earn a living Di msl:
                            Well the other option was to sit in a window all day like a vase of flowers :tinysmile_kiss_t4:

Comment

Oh christ now I am thinking where on earth with you stick yer roses :bolt:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X