• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bank referral commissions from fee paying DMC's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bank referral commissions from fee paying DMC's

I wrote the to OFT about the banks referring and receiving commission from fee paying DMCs such as Gregory Pennington.

Sent: Tue 25/08/2009 10:52
    To: Enquiries
    Subject: Enquiry ref referrals to fee paying Debt Management Companies.

Dear Sirs

I was wondering if you could advise me of the OFTs position / guidance with regard to banks debt management / money management departments referring customers to fee paying debt management companies as opposed to free services such as CCCS.

We are seeing a number of referrals from banks to fee paying debt management companies, where the debt management company offers the customer a discount as they were referred by the bank.

Additionally we have heard of banks informing customers they would not freeze interest on accounts unless they went through a specific fee paying debt management company.

This is a general enquiry on the applicable guidance at the moment.

Many thanks for your help

Kind regards
    How in gods name is this a proper reply to my enquiry ?

Dear Mrs Coleman

THE CONSUMER CREDIT ACT 1974

Thank you for your email received on of 25 August 2009.

Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (“the Act”), if a business wishes to be involved in activities relating to consumer credit or hire, including debt collection, they must have a consumer credit licence. The Office of Fair Trading (the OFT) has duty to enforce the Act, including a duty to monitor the fitness of all traders that hold a consumer credit licence.

Unfortunately the OFT has no power to intervene in individual disputes, and therefore we are unable to assist you directly in this matter.

The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) can help with most complaints about consumer credit products and services if the consumer has failed to satisfactorily resolve the matter directly with the consumer credit licensee itself. FOS can be contacted at: Financial Ombudsman Service, South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London, E14 9SR;; or www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

We have therefore noted the details of your enquiries, and we will consider this alongside any other complaints we have received with a view to any consumer credit licensing or other action we may decide to take. Unfortunately, we cannot disclose any details about any action we may take, due to legal restrictions on the OFT relating to disclosure of information.

Thank you again for writing to us and bringing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Olushola Egbowon
    Enquiries and Reporting Centre
    Office of Fair Trading
    i doubt I need to tell you that I'm writing back.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: the OFT are pants

Replied - hope I got the sex right ....

Dear Ms Egbowen

With respect I do not feel the generic template response you have given me answers my enquiry at all.

As I stated in my letter ''This is a general enquiry on the applicable guidance at the moment.'' It is not a complaint, I do not mention a specific bank and I am enquiring as to the guidance the OFT offer in respect of these situations.

Plese could you answer my original enquiry and ''advise me of the OFTs position / guidance with regard to banks debt management / money management departments referring customers to fee paying debt management companies as opposed to free services such as CCCS'' or give me contact details of someone who will be able to assist me.

Many thanks
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

You'll just end up in a black pit of despair. Sack the lot of 'em. Useless Twonks.
      My Blog
      http://cabotfanclub.wordpress.com

Comment

Jaysus! I get the impression that the OFT are totally out of their depth with regard to dealing with the banks. (I certainly got that impression during our meeting with them last year!!)
        They must feel like they are herding ferrets! Every day the banks come up with yet another sneaky practise to increase their revenue streams and the OFT seem utterly incapable of reacting appropriately.

Perhaps the FSA (grr), the ombudsman and the BBA (GRRR) should also be written to??
        "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

REPLYYYYYYYY

The OFT will be soon be commencing a compliance review into the Debt Management market.

The Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the Act)
          Enquiry: Referrals to fee paying debt management companies

Thank you for your further email, further to our response of 4 September 2009.

I am sorry that our earlier response did not address the specific issues you have raised.

As you know, under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the Act), if a business wishes to be involved in activities relating to consumer credit or hire, including debt collection and debt management, they must have a consumer credit licence. The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has duty to enforce the Act, including a duty to monitor the fitness of all traders that hold a consumer credit licence.

You may be interested to note that the OFT has issued guidance to consumer credit licence holders engaged in commercial debt management and also to those in the debt collection industry. The Debt Management Guidance is intended to ensure that debt management companies treat debtors fairly. The Debt Collection Guidance us intended to ensure that debt collectors treat individuals fairly. Non-compliance with the appropriate guidance will call into question the fitness of licence holders and applicants. You can view our guidance at:
          www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/legal/cca/debt-management
          www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/legal/cca/debt-collection

I have reviewed your query and I am unable to find anything specific in either the Debt Management Guidance or the Debt Collection Guidance which relates to the issue you have raised.

However, although there is no published guidance on this issue, that does not mean that the OFT would not be concerned with such practices. A thorough investigation would need to be conducted into the companies involved and the circumstances surrounding such referrals before we could comment specifically.

If you wish to submit a complaint about a company / companies engaging in activities which you feel should be of concern to the OFT this will be considered along with any other information the OFT holds about the company and we may or may not decide to conduct an investigation.

The OFT will be soon be commencing a compliance review into the Debt Management market. Having our attention drawn to issues such as that highlighted by yourself will inform our research in this area and we would therefore appreciate any further details you may be willing to supply.

I hope the above is helpful and thank you once again for taking the time to write to us about this matter.

Yours sincerely

Nilufar Miah
          Office of Fair Trading
          #staysafestayhome

Comment

That's better then?

Comment

much - maybe i'll change the title
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Re: bank referral commissions from fee paying DMC's

Replied - hope I got the sex right ....
                Olushola Egbowon
                Office of Fair Trading

And what sex do you think this one is ?
                Nilufar Miah
                Office of Fair Trading

Comment

Re: bank referral commissions from fee paying DMC's

Relevant part of banking code.

Writing to BSCB and fSa and halifax next
                  Last edited by Amethyst; 8th September 2009, 18:03:PM.
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X