• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CB Vs Local Council Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Vs Local Council Tax

In one of MSE's recent e-mails there was a piece on rebanding with council tax.
    So, as I had a few spares minutes I had a read.
    The article is here: Council Tax Rebanding: Lower your band and save £1,000s...

I had a bit of a dig and found out that 2 houses on my road are in a lower C.Tax band to me. This was from the VOA's site. Now I know these houses are the same as mine, so I thought I'd give it a try.
    The VOA's site is very useful and gives the details for your local offices.
    I gave them a ring, explained the situation and was told I would have a response within 2 months.

True to their word, I cam home this evening to find a letter from them confirming that I had been rebanded DOWN a grade, back dated to 1993. Tomorrow I'll be calling the Local council tax section and asking what happens next, especially as I moved in in Oct 2003. Overall they owe me about 5 1/2 years difference, so hopefully that should account for this years bill.

I heartily recomend everyone at least have a look see, after all it's free and may well be quite profitable.

In my case they didn't send anyone round to reasses the property, but, accourding to MSE, some people have had VOA officers round, so best to be 100% truth with them from the get go.

Go on give it a go !!!!!

Re: CB Vs Local Council Tax

Martin Lewis did a big thing about this, I think last year, maybe the year before.
    Because we changed from Poll Tax to Council Tax in 1993 they did what they call 'kerb checks', that is to say inspectors just drove around and if all the houses in the street looked the same from the kerb then that is how they were banded.
    If you are not sure what band you are on you can check it here Check your council tax band : Directgov - Do it online

Comment

Well gave them a call and they will be reissuing me a bill for this year with the back dated refund applied.
      All in all we're about evens, so nothing to come back to me, but a year free of council tax will do me fine

Comment

I tried this late last year and got a swift knock back from my local council. I would agree with Curlyben though, it has to be worth a try. I'm now thinking of holding prayer meetings and getting this place classed as a place of worship and avoiding any council tax.
        Borrow money from a pessimist -- they don't expect it back.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X