• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deeds release charge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deeds release charge?

I'm posting this for Agnes if anyone could help. Thanks.

I have asked Halifax Building Society, to release the Deeds in Store to us, and paid the appropriate £125.00 balance which is required for holding them in store. I was told that the deeds would be sent to us.

We now have a letter asking us to pay £50. for them to release the deeds. without this we can not obtain them. I realise that the deeds are not considered of any use now that they are computerised, but just the same I want the paper version for sentimental reasons.

Do you know if they are legally entitled to place a charge for this. ?

Re: Deeds release charge?

Was the £125 the amount outstanding on the mortgage?

Comment

I don't know, I was wondering what the figure was for. I'm sure Agnes will shed some light on it.

Comment

In the past for a building society/bank to store the deeds safely for free then a balance had to be owing on the mortgage, this was as little as £1, and then a fee was paid to release them of which £50 sounds about right.

Comment

In the dim and distant past a fee would not have been charged - but nowadays as an admin charge occurs everytime they pick up a pen it would not surprise me.

Did you have any letter when they agreed to hold the deeds as if on that there was no charge mentioned or say it was £25.00 then you might have a case.

But otherwise I guess it is as the poster above said par for the course I am afraid
          "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

I'm sure Agnes will let us know if she has an agreement.

Thanks you two.

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald View Post
              Was the £125 the amount outstanding on the mortgage?
              Hi,
              Yes I can tell you That was the omount the Halifax told us to leave outstanding on the mortgage when we finished paying it, required to keep the deeds in store. There has never been any mention till now of paying to get the deeds out.
              ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
              Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
              In the dim and distant past a fee would not have been charged - but nowadays as an admin charge occurs everytime they pick up a pen it would not surprise me.

Did you have any letter when they agreed to hold the deeds as if on that there was no charge mentioned or say it was £25.00 then you might have a case.

But otherwise I guess it is as the poster above said par for the course I am afraid
              Hi there No I cannot remember a letter stating anything about that, but to be fair there could be some small print gone unnoticed of course. All I remember was the £125.00 required to hold the deeds. In retrospect I wish we had just had the deeds there and then, especially as they have no real value other than sentimental !!

Thanks all I would love to find out they have no right to ask for this fee.!!
              Last edited by agnes; 22nd November 2008, 00:19:AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

agnes, if you are still the owner registered with the Land Registry you can obtain a pdf copy of the tiltle deeds from them for £8 I think (or was last time I checked Ame will correct me if I am wrong )
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I would be tempted to write to the Halifax asking for evidence that your were informed of the £50.00 fee when you agreed to leave the deeds with them. Let them try and prove it rather than just pay up. It is a bit like the discharge admin fees for mortgages - if when you take out your mortgage they tell you the admin fee is £50.00 - then when you repay the fee is £125 I believe they have to refund the difference.

So for the sake of a letter asking them to show you exactly where they informed you of the fee - it will be worth a try.
                  "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post
                    agnes, if you are still the owner registered with the Land Registry you can obtain a pdf copy of the tiltle deeds from them for £8 I think (or was last time I checked Ame will correct me if I am wrong )
                    Thank you I think I will do that anyway and still write to the Halifax BS val xx

Comment

In order to store deeds FOC it was required that there be small balance left outstanding on the mortgage which could vary but £125 sounds about right.

The 'release fee' is intended to cover the cost of physically searching their archives to locate the hard copy

Comment

Originally posted by righty View Post
                        In order to store deeds FOC it was required that there be small balance left outstanding on the mortgage which could vary but £125 sounds about right.

The 'release fee' is intended to cover the cost of physically searching their archives to locate the hard copy
                        So once more we learn that it costs an enormous amount of money for a member of staff to go to a filing system, pull out a document, put it in an envelope and address it, for posting. no wonder we never made enough money, when running our business !

Comment

Originally posted by Tools View Post

Guess What, The charge at the Land Registry now is £29.95 So I am waiting for the response from the Halifax first, and at best they may not have the proof I asked for, and I pay nothing, or a least I can pay the £29.95

Comment

Greetings All, Well After writing to the Halifax Building Society, and first of all receiving a letter stating that the charge does apply and is shown in the leaflet given with all mortgage details etc. I then wrote back again stating that they still had not given me the evidence showing that we had been informed of this charge when we first agreed the mortgage as I had asked for, and lo and behold ! we received a second letter, no proof contained, but as a gesture of goodwill they will wave the charge!! si thanks for the good advice, scoobydoo, by the way I have since found that you can get a basic copy download of the title deed for £3. from the land registry site.

Comment

That was what I meant when I said £8 , lol, I got the fee wrong
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X