• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Saving your benefits.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving your benefits.

A friend lives in a bedsit and is on ESA. Because he doesnt get out much or drink or smoke or do anything really, and his rent is paid by housing benefit and running costs of the bedsit is minimal, his ESA has been adding up in his bank account and he has over £6000. Now he wants to move to a private rented house. He has seen online that savings over £3000 will affect any housing benefit he gets. Obviously the running costs of a house will be more which will eat into future ESA payments, but he will still have over £6000 in ESA at the start of any tenancy. He wants to know if the ESA in his bank account will be counted as savings or affect housing benefit. For some reason it hasnt affected his housing benefit in the bedsit, but hes now getting worried after reading stuff online. Thanks
    Tags: None

Hi,
    My understanding was savings over £6,000 are taken into consideration not £3,000. Maybe have a look at the eligibility criteria here: https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...ce/eligibility
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Hi again,
      This may help too - Housing Benefit calculator:https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/eligibility
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

Comment

Thanks. From reading those links, he should get some housing benefit.

The worrying one now is, to qualify for ESA his savings must not be above £6000. Because he has been unable to spend his ESA due to circumstances, it has built up to over £6000. The question is; is the built up ESA in the bank classed as savings? If it is then that would mean his unspent ESA would stop him qualifying for further ESA.

Comment

Hi help4someoneelse,
          The money he has in the bank, however it has been acquired ESA or otherwise would be classed as savings. Remember any amount over the £6,000 reduces the amount of benefits received by an amount, not completely wiping out any claim. I would suggest if the sum over £6,000 is not significant he maybe looks at spending some, if he needs new furniture for example. Of course if it is a significant sum then any spend may be questioned by the Benefits Agency when they come to considering his claim.
          It may be worth seeing CAB to help him work out exactly how much HB he would be entitled to. Remember as the savings reduce he will be able to get the claim reviewed after a certain amount of time.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X