• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Understanding PPI Calculations--- Concept of Loan Amortization

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding PPI Calculations--- Concept of Loan Amortization

Understanding PPI Calculations--- Loan Amortization

Before you study the other threads in this sub-forum it is necessary to understand the basics on how a typical personal loan is scheduled throughout its life. This thread is basically to explain Loan Amortization in simple terms – I apologise to those familiar with the concept and if I am attempting to teach grandmother..eggs scenario, and I also apologise if I do not use the correct financial terms – but as most of you know, I am more of a Technician rather than a Financial Guru.

I have previously posted part of this work on Penaltycharges forum and on Penaltyactiongroup, this thread is a further development on the same theme.

When we come to discuss PPI mis-selling - the concepts described in this thread are equally applicable to either a Loan for a Cash Advance or a Loan for a PPI Single Premium Insurance.

Previously, before the law changed to make the lender issue at least an annual statement, customers often (especially Firstplus) had nothing for up to 3 years, the only way Bill & I could derive a settlement figure was to use Loan Amortization and then add a bit-say 2 months interest. (before Marshallka clarified how to use Rule of 78 Calculations ) - However, those sums were assuming fixed interest.

We then progressed with coaxing out the %'ge increase letters from the customer ( who usually had thrown them away) and effectively calculating the variable interest and a correct outstanding balance.

Nowadays, it is fairly easy to get your statements (unfortunately though for Pompeyfaith, Co-Op are the exception)

So we won't be using Amortization very much later on, but I think it useful that everybody understands loan scheduling.

First of all, I would like to clear up a couple of mis-conceptions that frequently crop up on these type of forums, as very often people are taken by surprise when they examine their loan balances and see that, in the early days, nearly all the payment is going on interest and not the principal.
    • the amount of interest payable each month is not linear – ie constant.
    • the Total Amount Payable (TAP) is only a snapshot in time and changes with the interest rate %’ge.
    On an original agreement, the figures quoted always include:
    • Total Charge for Credit (TAC)
    • Total Amount Payable (TAP)
    • Apr %
    These are figures taken at a snapshot in timeon the day the agreement was signed. Their main purpose is to allow customers to compare loans from different lenders as each lender by law has to present the figures in this way.

However, the vast majority of loans are on a variable rateand are subject to frequent increases and infrequent decreases in the interest rate, rendering the original quoted TAC and TAP practically obsolete.

Therefore, when we start studying the figures for loans subject to PPI mis-selling, we must work at a far more detailed level and effectively understand an amortization schedule for the loan.

Amortization
    Amortization is a method for repaying a loan in equal installments. Part of each payment goes toward interest due for the period and the remainder is used to reduce the principal (the loan balance). As the balance of the loan is gradually reduced, a progressively larger portion of each payment goes toward reducing principal.

Amortization Schedule
    An amortization schedule is a table with a row for each payment period of an amortized loan. Each row shows the amount of the payment that is needed to pay interest, the amount that is used to reduce principal, and the balance of the loan remaining at the end of the period.

Negative Amortization
    Negative amortization occurs when the payment is not large enough to cover the interest due for a period. This will cause the loan balance to increase after each payment - a situation that should certainly be avoided. This might occur, for instance, if the rate of a variable-rate loan increases, but the payment does not.

Interest

In practice, the Lenders have various ways of actually calculating interest-a selection below:
    • Simple/Compound
    • Daily/Weekly/Monthly/4-weekly/Etc
    • assuming 360 days a year/365days a year/365.25 days a year/366 days a year/etc
    • Variable Rate/Fixed Rate
    • And various ways of Amortizing the Loan:--Normal/Fixed Payment/Canadian/Interest Only/Rule of 78/No interest (if you can find it-lol)

However in order to illustrate the concepts within this thread, I am going to assume the following simple scenario:
    • Fixed Rate Loan at 10% pa -Simple Monthly
    • Loan Advance Value of £40,000
    • Loan Term of 10 years (120 months)
    In the first Illustration below - note how the Principal part of the Payment increases in the first 11 months of the Loan and the Interest decreases.

This is because the interest is calculated on the previous month's outstanding balance which is gradually decreasing.

In the next illustration - note how the overall payment in the latter years of the loan moves towards mainly Principal and less Interest.

This is illustrated below which shows the part of the £528.60 monthly payment that is attributed towards paying off the loan and paying the interest on the loan - note how the ratio changes towards the end of the Loan.

Similarly, another way of illustrating as a % of the monthly payment attributed to paying off the Loan and paying the Interest on the Loan.

Next, open up the PDF attachment below entitled Amort-1-40000-pdf

This is the full amortization schedule for the complete loan showing all 120 months payments and the outstanding balance of the loan at the end of each of those months.

This illustration was produced with the standard Excel Template which you will find under FILE|NEW|template on my computer|spreadsheet solutions|loan amortization.

The actual copy of the this illustration is also included below Amort-1-40000.xls for you to experiment with (if you are using Open Office-click on the file & SAVE it somewhere, then Open it after loading Open Office Calc-I have verified that OO will this read Excel file ok).

You can also experiment with your loans by entering your value/years/% and see it produce the monthly payment and schedule.

There is one small anomaly here I didn't mention earlier-these interest calculations usually work work with Annual Interest Rates (AIR) which is derived from the APR %'ge. The spreadsheet from the excel template uses Simple Interest

I am not going into the conversion factors in this thread-as I get confused myself--Bill is the master of interest calculations

Perhaps I will get Bill-K to add a further post later.

But for your loan, just keep reducing the %'ge in easy stages until you get your correct monthly payment in the top r/h box. (to enter 9.5%-type .095, to enter 10%-type .10)--this then gives you a rough idea.

A further development on this theme was a spreadsheet where we modified the standard one to use APR/AIR and also provided a facility to vary the interest rate--see ----below

Last edited by Turboman; 11th October 2010, 11:11:AM.

Re: Understanding PPI Calculations--- Concept of Loan Amortization

Hard to see the Amortization is
    sigpic"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

Comment

OK--I've finished--hope you find it useful

As I said before---all comments and participation from everybody is very welcome--and corrections if I have erred
      Last edited by Turboman; 11th October 2010, 11:13:AM. Reason: Attachment now in post 1

Comment

I am not very good at this i have still got my L plates on but here we go.
        I took a loan out in 2006 and was sold PPI with it through HSBC and when i saw all the info on TV about missold PPI i was tempted to ring one of these firms to see if they could look at my account to see if i had a case against the bank.
        As a rule i am very carefull but when i took this loan out i had just lost my Daughter at the age of 39 and we were made guardians of her 2 teenage children there was no life insurance on her as she was so young so we had to pay for everything and we needed money fast. As we owned our house the bank had no problem giving it so i had a loan of £15000 over 7yrs paying £316 monthly what i did not know was that i was paying the PPI back monthly with the loan for 7yrs and because i was 60 when i took out the loan the PPI would not pay me out after my 65th birthday allthough i had to keep paying them for another 2yrs when i realised that i had to pay for 2yrs for nothing i knew i might have a case so i went on google to look at these firms that fight for missold PPI and fortunately i found legalbeagles website. I say fortunate because through reading all the advice given by all of you i decided to take on HSBC myself it has taken me 10 weeks and 2 letters to recieve an offer of £6900 from them so i can not thank you all enough and hope that anyone that reads this will follow all the advice you have all given once again Thank You ThankYouiThank You sospan

Comment

Thats really great Sospan----so pleased you got the offer

It goes without saying if you want me & Bill to check your offer----we can do it in public here or in private if you PM me

Well done for doing it yourself and not going for a firm who takes a cut of your offer

Turbs

Originally posted by sospan View Post
          I am not very good at this i have still got my L plates on but here we go.
          I took a loan out in 2006 and was sold PPI with it through HSBC and when i saw all the info on TV about missold PPI i was tempted to ring one of these firms to see if they could look at my account to see if i had a case against the bank.
          As a rule i am very carefull but when i took this loan out i had just lost my Daughter at the age of 39 and we were made guardians of her 2 teenage children there was no life insurance on her as she was so young so we had to pay for everything and we needed money fast. As we owned our house the bank had no problem giving it so i had a loan of £15000 over 7yrs paying £316 monthly what i did not know was that i was paying the PPI back monthly with the loan for 7yrs and because i was 60 when i took out the loan the PPI would not pay me out after my 65th birthday allthough i had to keep paying them for another 2yrs when i realised that i had to pay for 2yrs for nothing i knew i might have a case so i went on google to look at these firms that fight for missold PPI and fortunately i found legalbeagles website. I say fortunate because through reading all the advice given by all of you i decided to take on HSBC myself it has taken me 10 weeks and 2 letters to recieve an offer of £6900 from them so i can not thank you all enough and hope that anyone that reads this will follow all the advice you have all given once again Thank You ThankYouiThank You sospan

Comment

Mucho respecto from me, Sospan. If you took the trouble to read up on all the relevant stuff, and then made a successful claim yourself, then congrats and well done from me, too. The fact that you posted this on Turbo's massively helpful thread hasn't gone un-noticed, either.

As Turbo says, if you would like a hand to check the figures, then we're happy to do our best for people like yourself. I see that our Di (our very own Welsh 'Sospan Fach') has noticed you, too. You got rrrrrrespect. :beagle:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X