• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mis-sold a store card - do i have a leg to stand on?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mis-sold a store card - do i have a leg to stand on?

Originally posted by iolanthe View Post
    i'm worried about this as i am now applying for a job with the Home Office, which i cannot be considered for with this on my Credit Report. I am sickened by the whole affair
    Home Office background checks are very stringent. I believe a CCJ would matter but not necessarily a Default on your CRA file depending on what level of job you are seeking. If you moved to Italy for work and were unaware of all the negative activity on your account you could try to use that as an alibi to have a Notice of Correction applied to your credit file. Obviously it would look better if you said that the matter was resolved and the current creditor places a *Settled* marker on your account. Here's some information about NOCs:

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/faq/AR5.html

You may not be able to get the Default removed because sadly it does reflect the truth. If a job at the Home Office is paramount to you then I would look to coming to some sort of arrangement with the creditor allowing for the removal of as many of those charges as possible.

Comment

What an attitude hope you lose and don't get the job ,I was asking a serious question.
      See we can both be Aholes

Comment

That's not a very nice thing to wish for. Anyway, the answer to your original question was in an earlier post where i put "the ... monthly charges were Direct Debit payments which escaped my notice (i was flush at the time and didn't check my statements) until i went to live and work abroad, at which point i immediately cancelled the D/D and went, thinking i'd paid.."

So i'm not an A-hole as you put it mate. I'm a pillock for letting this slip through the net. It's a long time ago.

Comment

So i'm not an A-hole as you put it mate. I'm a pillock for letting this slip through the net.
          Gentleman please, there are Ladies present :lalala:

Comment

I now have one DCA after another chasing me for another 500 odd quid
            Which is the current DCA chasing you? Some are more easy to deal with than others. Santander tend to use Lewis Debt Services who are very quick to issue court summons using their in-house litigation clerks under the name of Howard Cohen.

Comment

The official default date according to my credit report is 14/1/09. Payments were stopped "by originator request" on 8/5/08.
              If you cancelled your D/D in May 2008 then the creditor should have defaulted you within 3 - 6 months (max) of that date as per OFT Guidelines since you would have breached your contract at that point. If they had done that then your whole file would vanish from the CRAs next year (6 years from the Default date) whether you've paid the balance or not instead of 2015 due to the 2009 registration. You may be able to raise this issue to get that default date adjusted.

Sometimes lenders will agree to remove a Default from your CRA files as part of any Full & Final Settlement negotiation. They're not obliged to though. However the CRAs have to remove it if they're told to by the creditor since they are simply a 'library' of information not the account decision makers.

Comment

I think a prove it letter should be sent to the current DCA chasing, and a full SAR sent to debenhams, along with a request for a full transaction list/statement of account since inception.

The DD must have been set up at somepoint, possibly the increasing debt came to the OP's attention (I'm not sure if it was 16 months or 4 months after the purchase) and a repayment vehicle put in play by DD.

And no, there is no need for sniping at all. I've had DD's going out my account for years also without really thinking what they were for - just something you do when you aren't watching every penny (and it usually comes back to bite you on the bum like this one has)
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                  I've had DD's going out my account for years also without really thinking what they were for
                  Shoes probably msl:

Comment

That's spot-on, thanks a lot.

Comment

That's great insight and really helpful, thanks a lot.

I've now sent a prove it letter (does anyone have experience of how often these DCAs can deliver on these requests? Obviously, i hope they can't prove it!)

Didn't know the bit about the 3-6 month default rule. I shall send an SAR to Debenhams too. The last time i spoke to them about it though - years ago - they said it was nothing to do with them now. But i'll try.

Comment

Aktiv Kapital. I've had all sorts. So far, none have persisted beyond one letter except for Mackenzie Hall who were quite aggressive but soon sold it on. I've never replied. Think i'll stick my head above the turret and send a "prove it". What do you reckon, any ideas on Aktiv Kap?
                        Thanks for your input.

Comment

how often these DCAs can deliver on these requests?
                          Name the DCA please

Comment

Aktiv Kapital. I've had all sorts. So far, none have persisted beyond one letter except for Mackenzie Hall who were quite aggressive but soon sold it on. I've never replied. Think i'll stick my head above the turret and send a "prove it". What do you reckon, any ideas on Aktiv Kap.
                            Our posts crossed. Never mind about my ideas on Aktiv Kapital because the OFT had their own ideas on them when they sanctioned AK for treating debtors of disputed debts unfairly. Beware AK like to issue Statutory Demands if they know you are a home-owner (are you?). I don't want to scare you but forewarned is forearmed. Read about the OFT sanctions here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/news-and-updat...1#.Ulx1pKtwZjo

Comment

Great. I'm not a home owner. Think i'll send the "prove it" letter and write to Debenhams, the scum-bags.
                              Thanks again again again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X