• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax with bailiff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax with bailiff

Is it possible to take a council to Court for passing on a debt to a bailiff when you have not had a chance to defend the demand, when the bailiff then just keeps adding fees from thin air? Also can a council call it back from the bailiff, even when they say they cannot.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax with bailiff

One of our experienced bailiff members will give you an answer on this. I think that the answer to your question is yes it is possible. But lets see what the experts say.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyculture View Post
      Is it possible to take a council to Court for passing on a debt to a bailiff when you have not had a chance to defend the demand, when the bailiff then just keeps adding fees from thin air? Also can a council call it back from the bailiff, even when they say they cannot.
      Can you tell us some more? The basics are that if you haven't paid they apply for a Liability Order and if you still don't pay then the bailiff is one of a raft of measures they can use for enforcement.

Comment

Hi, to be honest I don't know how it happened as we had major problems with mail theft and when it was resolved I ended up having to deal with a company that to me is totally wrong when I should be dealing with the council. I believe the council saying they cannot withdraw the order from the bailiffs is just a crock of stuff. They seem to have found an outstanding amount from 2 years ago, as I am dealing with them directly for 2 other amounts currently, why the 1st could not be added is beyond me. I think I will research further on getting my band changed.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyculture View Post
          Hi, to be honest I don't know how it happened as we had major problems with mail theft and when it was resolved I ended up having to deal with a company that to me is totally wrong when I should be dealing with the council. I believe the council saying they cannot withdraw the order from the bailiffs is just a crock of stuff. They seem to have found an outstanding amount from 2 years ago, as I am dealing with them directly for 2 other amounts currently, why the 1st could not be added is beyond me. I think I will research further on getting my band changed.
          Was the mail theft reported to the police and an incident number obtained. This might get the council to recall things, if they can see you genuinely may not have received their correspondence. The council can recall a debt whenever they want, despite what they tell you. I'd be inclined to clarify the situation with them by phoning on Monday and asking:

1. How many Liability Orders they have against you?
          2. The dates they were obtained?
          3. The addresses they were for?
          4. The period of time each covers?
          5. How much each one was for?
          6. How much is still outstanding?
          7. The dates they were passed on for enforcement?

There appears to be some confusion over the amount from 2 years ago, for which they would have had to obtain a LO.
          :beagle:

Comment

Thanks for that, the police were left out but it has now been reported to royal mail as shared community and still happening but nowhere near how it was.

I am going to look for any paperwork as my another matter seems to have taken over my normal life. Now trying to get everything sorted and nearly there, just this ridiculous situation of paying a bailiff for doing nothing.

Comment

If you never reported the alleged mail theft does anyone expect the council to believe anything now,if the liability exists best to pay the council and try to get the bailiffs removed good luck

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X