• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff has arrived at my accountants (registered office) and left 'REMOVAL 48 HOURS'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bailiff has arrived at my accountants (registered office) and left 'REMOVAL 48 HO

Originally posted by Bedfordshire View Post
    My car is in my name, insured by me.
    Do they have a right to come to my home address to see if there are any business assets there? As I said, I left the office with my laptop (business purchased - but essential to me doing work) and paperwork. There's a clock and few pictures (nothing collectable!) that the company purchased when we moved in to the office. As I mentioned the business had no assets, I sold my time and commissioned freelancers so didn't hold any 'stock'.
    The point of a limited company is to protect your personal goods.

Comment

Re: Bailiff has arrived at my accountants (registered office) and left 'REMOVAL 48 HO

Originally posted by Bedfordshire View Post
      I guess my real question is what action should I take? I can't just ignore the letter but I don't really want to call and enter into dialogue with the Bailiff. there's little I can do this weekend to contact the Council. What should I do next?
      Enjoy your weekend.

If your company truly has no assets, the oafish bailiffs won't get anything. If they try to break into your accountant's offices to remove items, that's simply burglary.

If you must call the bailiff to tell him that he's not going to get anything, use a public 'phone box and, when the oaf starts to SHOUT AT YOU, hang up on him. As you've used a public 'phone box, there will be much less risk of him calling you to annoy you.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
        They're that alright! Lol!
        They (jacobs) would likely have to google for the meaning LoL But seriously, Op should be contacting the council, and getting then to cease and desist against the accountant.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone! I've e-mailed the Council and Jacobs as suggested and will drop a hard copy letter into the Council Offices on Monday - we'll see what happens.

Comment

The creditor is the Council and not Jacobs. Your accountant ought to be qualified enough to know how to deal with this.

Comment

Just received a reply fro the Council that states:

"In reply to your email, I must ask if you have already surrendered the lease, and if so, I must request that you provide Bedford Borough Council with a copy of the surrendered lease.

I must also advise you that, until the company is either dissolved, or struck off be Companies House, Bedford Borough Council will continue with recovery action and the debt will remain with Jacobs bailiffs."

i haven't surrendered the lease. The landlord was advised of the company's position when we vacated. Although the lease still has a year to run the landlord has not pursued me as he has already re-let most of the office space. It seems that there might be a bit of deadlock here as I will apply to have the company struck off but this could take time as HMRC are owed a bit of money too and I understand that they can hold up things. So until that is sorted I guess I'm going to be hounded by the Bailiffs while it'splain to see the company has ceased trading and has no assets or means to pay the outstanding debt. Any advice on how to proceed now?

Comment

If there are no assets then the bailiffs will only incurr costs and no payment, seems a big lack of common sense all the way through this from the council down.

Comment

Poor baliffs we shal have to start a fund to pay them for their loses
                  HA HA HA

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                    I'll contribute three (cracked) plastic shirt buttons...

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                      HA HA HA
                      What have a "whip round"?. I can supply a good cat, a cat 'o nine tails to whip him with.....

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
                        What have a "whip round"?. I can supply a good cat, a cat 'o nine tails to whip him with.....
                        Or perhaps introduce him to "Mr Nasty", the name given to the implement formerly depicted below, which was designed by me (!) and made by someone I know. It has or had 18 tails of 3.2mm ball chain, each some 450mm long, securely held in place with neither glue, nor solder, nor any nails, pins or screws holding the tails into holes a little larger than 3.2mm.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          I'll contribute three (cracked) plastic shirt buttons...
                          got a couple of rusty "penny" washers I can throw in the pot.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X