• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting at Asda

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting at Asda

hi very ashamed to say I got caught shoplifting at my local asda store...I admitted it straight away and no police were called but they served me with a banning order at all Asda stores..i now receive a letter from DWF asking for SECURITY COSTS PLUS VALUE OF GOODS DAMAGED...so I know I did wrong and before you all slate me trust me I have learnt my lesson big time...can they take further civil action as they want full payment to avoid further recovery action being taken after 14 days???..is it legal etc...guess I am after reassurance and some facts please.
    Tags: None

Hi and Welcome

If you have had a look around you will have seen that the advice is to ignore DWF
    DWF cannot take any action except write threatening letters, dressed up in legalese in an effort to intimidate.
    Only ASDA could take action, and then only to claim their losses, which do not include security costs.
    If any goods were not recovered in a saleable condition they could (but won;t) sue for their loss which would be the wholesale price
    A few years back a similar firm tried court action and lost heavily. No one has tried since.

Were any goods damaged, and if so what value (small as police weren't called)

Anyway, just ignore DWF's letter chain.
    Eventually they give up

Comment

Hi, I would like to share my experience with you although I feel very embarrassed! I’ve been caught shoplifting from TKMax 3 products and bought a couple! As I wanted to walk out the security guard stopped me, took me in a room and I gave him and the possibly the shop manager the things back, I want to mention that I had no troubles before. I gave them my detailes but they had to call the police because the items was worth £200. I never had problems with the police before and the shop manager was actually willing to help me because I was cooperative and I was also feeling guilty. The police came took my details and I was signing some forms that the manager gave me to sigh and a ban from the store! As it was my first time I just give them the products back and I didn’t pay any fee or got arrested. The police took me home as I didn’t have a proof of address with me and they wanted to know where exactly I live so they won’t take me into custody! I’m really stressed and terrified as it was my first time doing such thing and I don’t know what to expect, plus I will move from the city in couple days. Can someone help with some advice? It would be highly appreciated!

Comment

Hi and welcome
        First thing is to get your post to its own thread as otherwise it will become confusing (I'll ask Kati to oblige please)

Did you sign any forms from the police?
        Did they say you would be hearing from them? They may ask you to visit for a voluntary interview.
        In this sort of situation, as it was your first (and hopefully last) offence you will possibly be given a caution or a penalty notice.
        If you are going to move before the police contact you, let them know your new address.

You will almost certainly be sent a request for money from a civil recovery firm (probably Retail Loss Prevention)..
        If you move, you don't want them to be told you have moved as they might obtain an undefended judgement against you.
        It is unlikely, but I don't trust these companies at all.
        So arrange for your post to be redirected to your new address.
        And ignore their demands.

Noted Maria1900 has now started own thread
        Last edited by des8; 29th June 2018, 08:56:AM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Hi and Welcome

If you have had a look around you will have seen that the advice is to ignore DWF
          DWF cannot take any action except write threatening letters, dressed up in legalese in an effort to intimidate.
          Only ASDA could take action, and then only to claim their losses, which do not include security costs.
          If any goods were not recovered in a saleable condition they could (but won;t) sue for their loss which would be the wholesale price
          A few years back a similar firm tried court action and lost heavily. No one has tried since.

Were any goods damaged, and if so what value (small as police weren't called)

Anyway, just ignore DWF's letter chain.
          Eventually they give up
          Thank you for the reply ..im new onhere so just read the reply..the amount only came to around £16 which i paid for as security gave me option to buy..but i fear they may have evidence of other times i may have been caught on cctv maybe??..but no police action was taken..i worry though if i ignore swf letters will or can ASDA not take action to recover plus add any more court costs/interst etc..??..and can ASDA

Comment

..sorry meant to add..can asda still call the police if they are frustrated with me ignoring dwf letters/demands>>??

Comment

I was asking them if I have to come to te police to fill some forms or something but they said that won’t happen and I was lucky that the manager wanted just an apology from me! I want to know if this would go into my record or if I would have problems getting a job. And if I receive any letter to pay some fee should I pay it?

Comment

Originally posted by Regret View Post

Thank you for the reply ..im new onhere so just read the reply..the amount only came to around £16 which i paid for as security gave me option to buy..but i fear they may have evidence of other times i may have been caught on cctv maybe??..but no police action was taken..i worry though if i ignore swf letters will or can ASDA not take action to recover plus add any more court costs/interst etc..??..and can ASDA
                Cease worrying.
                If you had been identified on CCTV the matter would have been brought up.

Asda haven't lost anything and won't be going to court so you will hear no more from them
                As for DWF just ignore them.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria1900 View Post
                  I was asking them if I have to come to te police to fill some forms or something but they said that won’t happen and I was lucky that the manager wanted just an apology from me! I want to know if this would go into my record or if I would have problems getting a job. And if I receive any letter to pay some fee should I pay it?
                  Please keep your posts on your other thread.

Without knowing what you signed it is difficult to comment, but I suspect it was a community restoration order, which could (but unlikely) show on an enhanced DBS check.
                  It is not a conviction and does not need to be declared

AND PAY NOTHING>>JUST IGNORE THE DEMANDS

Comment

Cease worrying.

Asda haven't lost anything and won't be going to court so you will hear no more from them
                    THANK YOU DES8...reassuring words...i hope and pray i hear no more from DWF or ASDA.

Comment

Originally posted by Regret View Post
                      hi very ashamed to say I got caught shoplifting at my local asda store...I admitted it straight away and no police were called but they served me with a banning order at all Asda stores..i now receive a letter from DWF asking for SECURITY COSTS PLUS VALUE OF GOODS DAMAGED...so I know I did wrong and before you all slate me trust me I have learnt my lesson big time...can they take further civil action as they want full payment to avoid further recovery action being taken after 14 days???..is it legal etc...guess I am after reassurance and some facts please.
                      HELP....I am having nightmares about these DWF letters..i have now received 3 in total..one this morning states "should pymt of 575 not be made during the course of next 14 days we will consider commencing court proceedings to recover sum outstanding",...

so how many more letters will they send before they allegedly stop??
                      can they issue court proceedings and add court costs/fees to total and interest etc..?
                      can CCJ be enterred?
                      can a bailiff attend my home?can they seek a court order to recover monies from earnings with my employer?

i have ignored first 2 letters from dwf but this 3rd one has really shocked me..??..please can someone help with any advice much appreciated and thank you in advance...massive lesson learnt!

Comment

Cease worrying.

HELP....I am having nightmares about these DWF letters..i have now received 3 in total..one this morning states "should pymt of 575 not be made during the course of next 14 days we will consider commencing court proceedings to recover sum outstanding",...

can they issue court proceedings and add court costs/fees to total and interest etc..?
                        can CCJ be enterred?
                        can a bailiff attend my home?can they seek a court order to recover monies from earnings with my employer?

i have ignored first 2 letters from dwf but this 3rd one has really shocked me..??..please can someone help with any advice much appreciated and thank you in advance...massive lesson learnt!

Comment

can CCJ be enterred?

Comment

I appreciate it can be unnerving ,but as advised earlier - just ignore them and stop worrying .

Comment

They cannot issue court proceedings as the alleged debt is not theirs, it belongs to ASDA and ASDA have lost nothing that they can claim for..

Before there can be a CCJ against you then there has to be a court case and you have to lose. As said they cannot take it to court as they haven't lost anything. The can only get bailiffs involved or attach your earnings if you have lost at court, not very likely.

RLP, a similar company, persuaded Boots to go to court a few years ago. The result was that RLP and Boots were loudly spanked by the judge and hence they have not tried again since. And DWF are very well aware of that court case.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X