• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received Car Quote and paid deposit - now they say they made a mistake and want more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received Car Quote and paid deposit - now they say they made a mistake and want more

Hi

I'm trying to buy a new car, so went on a website that dealers sign up to. Put in my spec, and received a number of offers. I followed one up, had an email conversation with the sales guy and he sent me a quote. The quote is for an HP deal, and I've decided to go with it.

Got back in touch this morning, and he isn't in. His boss contacts me instead, I send him a copy of the quote and he confirms it is good and they can still do it. So I send him my phone number, he calls me, takes a £150 deposit over the phone and goes off to sort out the HP paperwork.

Then he calls me back, saying, "Sorry, the original guy gave you the wrong deal, we can't do that, it's going to be £2000 more".

I have the original quote via email, his email confirming the quote, and the fact that he's taken an initial deposit. Can I hold them to the original price?

This is fairly time critical, so if anyone has any definitive answers in the next 24 hours that would be great.

Thanks
    Madmartagyn
    Tags: None

Are you saying the vehicle will cost a further £2000, or that the deposit must be increased by £2000?

Also depends on the terms of the Quote.

Generally HP quotes from agents are not an offer of credit, and any proposal for credit is subject to acceptance by the finance house.
    However if it is the vehicle price that has increased, and a deposit was taken, IMO there is a binding contract for the dealer to provide the goods at the quoted price.
    If they fail to honour the deal you would have a case to pursue them for breach of contract and claim damages

Comment

Hi Des8 the overall cost of the car was increased! The original quote was for let's say £30000, with £10500 customer deposit and £19500 in a 0% HP contract. I paid an initial £150 deposit over the phone to place the order, with the rest of the deposit due when the vehicle arrived at the garage in 8 weeks time or so. The second conversation with the sales manager increased the overall cost to £32000, meaning that my customer deposit would need to increase, and the monthly payments on HP would also increase. I assume that in your last sentence you mean making a court claim against them (as in a small claims court)? Thanks Martyn

Comment

Sorry if that isn't very readable - a glitch removed all my paragraph marks somehow.

Comment

With a new vehicle order you might find the terms and conditions allow for a price increase before the delivery.
          Can you identify the dealer etc so we can check their online terms?

Comment

It's SEAT Birmingham

Comment

https://www.bristolstreet.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/

Comment

Their website doesn't seem to include their terms of business.
                Basic contract law requires offer, acceptance, intention (to be legally binding), and consideration (this is you paying and them providing the goods).
                As the invitation to treat was made in writing, an offer made and accepted, consideration paid IMO you have a good case to hold them to the deal.

More pragmatically, if they refuse to stand by it , you may be better trying to renegotiate with them than go through the stress and strain of a court action (if you are thinking of that course of action)

Comment

Hi Des8 great news! I spoke to them today, and explained that I had taken legal advice ;-) and believed that they were in breach of contract. I told the salesman that I couldn't go ahead with the sale at the new price, so suggested he went away and tried to improve the numbers. An hour later he calls me back and tells me that the Managing Director has agreed to honour the original deal The really good thing is, the original quote was a mistake on their part - they included a manufacturer discount of £2000 that didn't apply to the HP deal, so the deal I've ended up with is actually an incredible deal! Hats off to them for (eventually) honouring the deal as well, so they will get an excellent review from me. Tea and buns all round Thanks for your help and advice Madmartagyn

Comment

Thanks for letting us know it turned out well

Comment

Well Done MadMartAgyn
                      Sorry i'm just thinking out loud, it might be irrelevant, I am not employed in anyway in the legal profession, please ensure you research any advice I give before using it I have been known to be wrong on multiple occasions.

Comment

2018-03-08 15_56_35-Start.png

Nice work !
                        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X