• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Australia clamps down on Penalty Fees - NAB first to give in...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia clamps down on Penalty Fees - NAB first to give in...

News has been released today that one of the three biggest banking groups in Australia is wiping 'penalty fees' from its personal account charging structure.

They are proclaiming to be doing it 'for the best interests of their customers', but are they ? or have they been backed into a corner by the australian government and consumer groups ?

The Australian Securities and Investments Commission been investigating penalty charges since 2006, putting a bill before senate in June 2007.

In September 2007 NAB reduced penalty fees from $50 to $30 following the Senate agreeing to an inquiry legislation, introduced by Senator Steven Fielding, to stop banks charging customers exorbitant penalty fees. NAB also announced that in early 2008 they would offer new accounts with no penalty fees at all and remove penalty fees on credit card accounts for concession card holders. they introduced a monthly fee paying account at $6 called Clear banking which charged no fees if your account became overdrawn, or if the account had insufficient funds to pay a direct debit or periodical payment

In October 2007 Federal Treasurer Peter Costello has requested banks to review their penalty fees. Mr Costello said "The fees they were charging bore no relation to the actual cost to the bank".

In July 2008, in response to the UK test case and the UK's Office of fair tradings personal current account market study, GE Money entered a submission to the governments Green Paper on financial services and credit reform, calling for a similar test case on penalty fees and asking for greater guidance from ASIC on what consitutes a fair fee.

In Setember 2008 the Senate Economics Committee released its report on its inquiry into the Australian Securities and Investments Commissions (Fair Bank and Credit Card Fees). Although the Committee addressed some of the problems with unfair penalty fees, consumer groups were disappointed that the senators failed to recommend new laws to protect consumers from unfair bank penalty fees.

The problems with unfair penalty fees, which were stated in the report include:
    • Customers cannot always avoid penalty fees.
    • Some penalty fees are almost certainly much greater that the costs incurred by the financial institution.
    • Customers do not have ready access to any dispute resolution process regarding unfair fees.

In February 2009 the Government announced the fast tracking of the implementation of new national unfair contract laws (similar to the UK's UTCCR 1999 which are being used to challenge unauthorised overdraft fees here) This comes into force on 1st January 2010 (bought forward from a proposed implementation of 2011)- giving Australian consumers the right to challenge unfair contract terms and conditions in standard form contracts - including penalty fees.

Consumer Affairs minister Chris Bowen says regulators will make the case of whether fees or charges are unfair in a relevant tribunal. Mr Bowen says the 2010 date has been set to allow the laws to pass through Parliament and to give suppliers a chance to remove unfair contracts terms themselves. "The law as it is at the moment doesn't provide protection for unfair contract terms," he said.

"We'd be seeking business to look at the spirit of what we're trying to do and get their houses in order before the first of January where possible."

So NAB maybe leading in the abolishment of unauthorised overdraft fees, but I don't think its for entirely altruistic reasons...more getting their house in order before consumers and regulators have the power to challenge them and go through lengthy court battles as have been seen in the UK.

Sources: Choice consumer group / AbC news / Australian Securities and Investments Commission
    Last edited by Amethyst; 29th July 2009, 11:49:AM.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Re: Australia clamps down on Penalty Fees - NAB first to give in...

"The National Australia Bank also own the Bank of New Zealand; I have had an account there for 23 years (since I was seven). I get charged £1.80 (NZ$3.50) per month for 30 EFTPOS or ATM transactions (what the UK calls chip & pin), unlimited transfers online between my accounts, and 10 electronic transactions (so paying bills online, transferring money to my Nan etc). Anything above this is 25c (or about 10p). I also earn better interest than here in the UK. Combined with the assurance I won't get stung for being overdrawn, I think the Kiwi (and Australian) deal is better."

MoneySavingExpert.com Forums - View Single Post - MSE news: Australian giant abolishes bank charges

Comment

Re: Australia clamps down on Penalty Fees - NAB first to give in...

Overdraft policy for UK customers is defended - Yorkshire Post

Overdraft policy for UK customers is defended

« Previous
      « Previous
      Next »
      Next »

View Gallery

Published Date: 03 August 2009
      By Bernard Ginns
      THE owner of Yorkshire Bank has defended its decision to maintain overdraft charges for UK customers after introducing a scheme to scrap the "unfair" fees for customers in Australia and New Zealand.

National Australia Bank has announced that its customers Down Under will not be charged a fee if they overdraw their everyday personal transaction and savings accounts.

Lisa Gray, the group's personal banking executive, said: "Everyday we hear their stories – a customer's pay goes in a day late, gym fees or an insurance premium comes out early – the bank either pays the overdrawn amount or not – but either way an overdrawn account fee is generated.

"Most of our customers who experience these fees don't think it is fair."

A spokesman for NAB said the move would not apply to Yorkshire and Clydesdale banks in the UK where it operates a different model than in Australia and New Zealand.

He added: "Paying for bank account access is commonplace in Australia and New Zealand. The UK is a very different market with consumers benefiting from a 'free while in credit' model.

"We have no plans to remove charges, because we remain firmly committed to offering the choice of free banking for our UK customers."

But Martin Lewis, MoneySavingExpert.com creator, said: "It seems, across the world, penal charges to bank customers are falling out of favour."

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X