• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

ASDA/Smart Parking Ltd PCN received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASDA/Smart Parking Ltd PCN received

Hi gurus,

I parked my car on Parent&Child bay in a local asda.

I have always parked my car in regular parking space in the last 5 years. Just yesterday(11/09) because I was quite hungry, and wanted to quickly grab a pizza and go away. In a hurry, I temporarily parked my car in a P&C bay since I tried to get close to the entrance to save time. As a matter of fact, I spent less than 4 minutes and quickly came out. But to my surprise, I found a Parking ticket coming from nowhere with a ridiculous penalty charge of 70 pounds from a company called 'smart parking'. That is, a yellow plastic bag with an invoice-like slip (called "Parking Charge Notice") stuck to my car screen window.

I called the local asda store and they asked me to call asda HQ. When I called asda HQ, the woman received the call said she is the manager but she cannot solve the issue and insisted that it is the asda procedure and I have to contact smart parking by myself.

This is very annoying and unjustified indeed, because:
    1. It is a free car park. There is NO any warning signage on the site that parking in Parent&Child bay will be charged with 70 pounds at all.
    2. Even if I temporarily parked in one P&C bay for less than 4 minutes, by that time there are still plenty of P&C parking spaces remaining. There is certainly no loss or impact to their biz by any means.
    3. The charge is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.

What should I do now? After reading lots of threads online, I feel I must fight back and challenge them. Shall I send a challenge to smart parking right now (of course, I won't give away any of my personal info in the message), or shall I wait till I receive a posted letter from smart parking?

I reckon I can put following info in my challenge (I copy&paste some good template from similar threads). I'd be much appreciated if you gurus can help improve this letter, like any thing to add, or to delete/modify? Pls pm me if you feel more appropriate.

==========================
    Dear sirs,

PCN ref xxxx

As the registered keeper of the vehicle ---- --- at time of this charge following legal advice I wish to challenge this PCN.

My challenge is based on the assertion that your Parking Charge does not represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss to yourself or the landowner. In every case where a motorist has raised this issue against you, POPLA have accepted the appeal. You are therefore fully aware that there is no prospect of your charge being upheld.

1) Your claim is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss.
    2) There is NO any warning signage on the site that parking in Parent&Child bay will be charged with 70 pounds in the first place.

If you do reject the challenge and insist upon taking the matter further I must inform you that I will claim my expenses from you.The expenses I will claim are not exhaustive but may include the cost of stamps,envelopes,travel expenses,legal fees etc.By continuing to peruse me you agree to pay these costs when I prevail.

If you reject this appeal I require within 35 days a POPLA verification code for me to appeal independently as per the requirements set out on the POPLA website,further supported by the BPA code of practice.You have been given the reason for the appeal above I have nothing further to currently add,and will not respond to any correspondence from your company unless it contains the POPLA code. Be aware that there will be formal complaints to POPLA and to BPA if there is no POPLA code on any rejection that you supply

Yours faithfully

==========================

Many thanks!
    Tags: None

Re: ASDA/Smart Parking Ltd PCN received

Wait for the notice to keeper to come in the post.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
      Wait for the notice to keeper to come in the post.

M1
      Thanks for a quick reply. The motivation for me to challenge them immediately (even before they spend money to access DLVA D/B and send me a posted letter) is to let them know I am not an easy target and know how to protect myself legally. What do you think then? My apology if I overlooked some key points as a newbie.

Comment

Give them a chance to screw up the notice to keeper which they invariably will. It also gets you nearer the Beavis result which will change the landscape significantly whoever is the victor.

M1

Comment

Sure, cost them 2 quids in the first place. How long on average to expect to receive their cooked notice to keeper then? About 'change the landscape significantly' - what does it mean, could you elaborate a little bit then? thanks.

Comment

"By continuing to peruse me you agree to pay these costs when I prevail."

" " " pursue " " " " " " " " " "

Only error I spotted.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin8888 View Post
              Sure, cost them 2 quids in the first place. How long on average to expect to receive their cooked notice to keeper then? About 'change the landscape significantly' - what does it mean, could you elaborate a little bit then? thanks.
              Notice to keeper must arrive between days 28 & 56.

If Beavis wins it could mean all tickets, as they currently stand, are effectively useless bits of paper. If parking eye win it effectively legitimises them in which case flaws in notices or signage are vital as all the parasitic b@stards will flood courts with claims.

M1

Comment

Originally posted by beaconsman View Post
                "By continuing to peruse me you agree to pay these costs when I prevail."

" " " pursue " " " " " " " " " "

Only error I spotted.
                thanks. will correct it.

Comment

Thanks again!
                  They are parasites indeed. W/o clear signage or proactive warning message, that will be just like unarmed robbery. Even if you were speeding on motorway, I reckon police cannot fine you if no evident and repeated 'speed camera' signs present alongside the road. If those parasitic nuisances won, that will be a joke as they are going to more "powerful" than police.

Comment

yes, the only thing some of these understand sometimes is actually the Law of the land stands for both sides. Just got an account prevented from being claimed upon, Lowells have no idea what they are doing.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X