• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord Wants Me To Pay For Broken Bed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord Wants Me To Pay For Broken Bed

Hello all,

I have been renting a flat in London for almost a year now and get on with the Landlord OK. Unfortunately the bed in my room was bought from Argos which means its not of the highest quality! The bed first broke about 2 months ago when I sat on it. The damage was fairly minor and we were able to repair it fairly easily.

The latest break came about a week ago, again when I sat on the bed but this time the damage is extensive and the entire beam has gone through. Initially we agreed to pay 50:50 for a new bed, but since the Landlord has changed his mind and wants me to pay the full amount. I don't think this is fair as the bed was only used as a bed should be.

I have tried searching for some case law on the subject but can't find anything to back me up, does anyone have any information that may be of use?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gareth
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord Wants Me To Pay For Broken Bed

Depends on the terms of your rental/lease, I should think. What does it say in your contract about damage/wear and tear etc and who is responsible? Landlords who rent out furnished flats should over all this in the contract, as to who is responsible for what.
    Is no longer here

Comment

Re: Landlord Wants Me To Pay For Broken Bed

Originally posted by gareth326771 View Post
      Hello all,

I have been renting a flat in London for almost a year now and get on with the Landlord OK. Unfortunately the bed in my room was bought from Argos which means its not of the highest quality! The bed first broke about 2 months ago when I sat on it. The damage was fairly minor and we were able to repair it fairly easily.

The latest break came about a week ago, again when I sat on the bed but this time the damage is extensive and the entire beam has gone through. Initially we agreed to pay 50:50 for a new bed, but since the Landlord has changed his mind and wants me to pay the full amount. I don't think this is fair as the bed was only used as a bed should be.

I have tried searching for some case law on the subject but can't find anything to back me up, does anyone have any information that may be of use?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

Gareth

You have rights under the 'Sales of Goods Act' please have a read here Some handy guides (Sale of Goods Act) - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum
      You don't say how long ago it was that the bed was bought and if it was over 12 months ago you may have a scrap on your hands as Argos will try and fob you off.
      Enaid x

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X