• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

sq footage of piece of land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sq footage of piece of land

Cant find anywhere else on the forum to post this question.

Im wanting to work out the size of an odd shaped plot of land in sq feet or sq yards

The dimensions are 112ft x 108ft x 136ft x 56ft

Can anyone help please?
    Tags: None

Re: sq footage of piece of land

Hmmmmmm---describe these measurements or a rough drawing Cyn of the sides of the polygon---- going from left in clockwise direction---and I'll use Turbocad (...now where did that username come from? )

Comment

9808 sq ft!

Worked out anticlockwise:

Top 112 ft

Left side 56ft

Bottom diagonal bit 136ft

Right side 108ft

This divides into a rectangle 56 x 112

and a triangle 52 x 136

56 x 112 = 6272

(136 x 52) / 2 = 3536

6272 + 3536 = 9808 sq ft

Comment

Do you have a drawing to scale of the plot (with the right angles in)? You probably need to draw it to scale and divide it into shapes like rectangles, squares and triangles that you know how to work out the area of then add them up. Thats what I do with my weird shape rooms anyhow but Im not great with maths so theres probably a more complicated accurate way xxx or get a surveryor, laser, autocad etc lol.

oo casp did it by dividing to diff shapes so I'm not far out though not sure how he worked out the angles....if you even need to ?
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
          Do you have a drawing to scale of the plot (with the right angles in)? You probably need to draw it to scale and divide it into shapes like rectangles, squares and triangles that you know how to work out the area of then add them up. Thats what I do with my weird shape rooms anyhow but Im not great with maths so theres probably a more complicated accurate way xxx or get a surveryor, laser, autocad(Turbocad ffs) etc lol.

oo casp did it by dividing to diff shapes so I'm not far out though not sure how he worked out the angles....if you even need to ?

Hmmmmmmm---I'll do it with intersecting circles and arcs in Turbocad assuming Caspars assumtions-lol---be back later when i change computers

Nice interesting challenge Cyn----can we have one every day?

Comment

Turbs loves having his brain challenged well turbs you are up against an ex teacher enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

I will confess before I get shot down in flames that I assumed nice straight sides, so i have made assumptions. It shouldn't be massively wrong though.

Ame - I effectively ended up with a rectangle 112 x 56 with a right angled triangle underneath 52 x 136 (52+56 makes up the 108 length)

No angles involved.

You're quite right - a drawing with measurements would let us do it properly!

Comment

Looking at the plot on an OS map
                The left boundary line measures 112ft
                The top " " " 108ft
                The right " " " 56ft
                The bottom " " 136ft

Drew a diagram on word, but for some reason it wont let me copy and paste.

Comment

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
                  Looking at the plot on an OS map
                  The left boundary line measures 112ft
                  The top " " " 108ft
                  The right " " " 56ft
                  The bottom " " 136ft

Drew a diagram on word, but for some reason it wont let me copy and paste.

Cyn---Copy & paste won't work----go to manage attachments & upload as a Word Doc

Comment

This is the very rough drawing

Comment

9401 sq ft.

(seriously don't count on that being right, wait for casp and turbs - I did two triangle areas and added them together - be interesting to see how wrong it is lol)

Tools got 13664 sq ft. ( Area = 1/2 (A+B) x Height )

Turbocad will work it out for you properly xx
                      Last edited by Amethyst; 16th February 2011, 09:05:AM.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Hmmmmmmm

Think I've forgotten more than I ever knew-lol

However, I think we not got enough info Cyn---we need at least 1 angle --- as you can see from my pdf--the "polygon" in blue has the same length sides as the polygon in red---producing different areas for instance (I think)

Comment

I have a much easier way.....

1, Call an Estate Agent
                          2, Make our your selling the land
                          3, Get him to measure it
                          4, Get the figures and say thanks I'll think about it

Simples :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
                            This is the very rough drawing
                            In order to work it out accurately as the 56ft boundary is not a straight line according to your sketch, is there any way you can get the following measurements?

1. Length from bottom of 56ft boundary up to 108 boundary in a straight line.

2. When you've got the above measurement you'll not quite be near the end of the 108 ft boundary, can you get the measurement from that point to the end of the 108 ft boundary?

We can then work it out exactly no problems.

If you don't need it totally exact and you're happy for us to treat the 56 ft boundary as straight then it's 9856 sq ft.

Tools 3/5 marks. You've treated the 56ft boundary as a straight line, done all your sums correct, but forgotten to divide the bottom triangle by 2 to get the area and treated it as the full rectangle. Good effort though!

Ame - you need some extra tuition! :billk::billk::billk::billk::billk:

Comment

pmsl. Well I have a dodgy rule
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X