• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Problem with Estate agent/ Landlord

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Estate agent/ Landlord

I moved in to a property in September 2009, at this point the only problems visible was that a rear window had a Payne smashed but the other Payne was ok, the kitchen floor had tiles lose near the entrance and the drive was sinking in areas.
    In march 2010 damp started to come though on the bathroom ceiling, front bedroom walls, side bedroom wall, and rear bedroom wall, Also noticed that the seals on all the windows have gone. At this point I approached the agents who never replied to our emails, calls or texts.
    Also in march my husband fell on the un-even drive and damaged his hand bracing the fall and a legal battle is in progress which they have accepted responsibility for. And have acknowledge the property is in need of repair.
    In December 2010 I took it upon myself to have a professional decorator come in and damp seal all the effected areas and redecorate were necessary. 2 weeks later I noticed that the damp had started to creep though again.
    Due to the seals being damaged in all windows I have bought and covered the windows in polythene to try reduce heat loss and stop the draft, The front room is now un-inhabitable due to the cold and the window.
    At the property is only myself and my husband. I am registered disable and in a wheelchair. the reason for this post is I want to know were I legally stand as it has been almost 18 month since entering the property and no repairs have been done although these was agree with the agent when entering the property.

------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
    Also on the same note my brother is with the same agent and has had the living room roof replaced by the agent for safety reasons and they refused to redecorate the room although he had just decorated the room prior to the problem with the roof, he also has a number of issue with the property that they are refusing to deal with. I will try get a list and update this post with full details.
    Last edited by stenson09; 20th January 2011, 22:33:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Tags: None

Re: Problem with Estate agent/ Landlord

Hi Stenson,

First thing's first, is the property concerned a rental property and if so is it managed through a lettings agency?

If Yes:
    If so this agency should be your first port of call. You should write a letter of complaint detailing the problems you have experienced and the lack of help you have received to date. It should include a suggestion of the repairs required on the property. If this letter of complaint is not remedied satisfactoraly or is ignored by 8 weeks after you submitted it to them then you can take them to their relevant Ombudsman Service. Since 2008 (under the Consumers, Estate Agents and Redress Act 2008) all estate agents have been required to be members of a registered ombudsman scheme, of which there are two: The Property Ombudsman (TPOS) and The Ombudsman Services: Property (OS-P). You need to find out which of these organisations your agent is registered with (they should display such information in their shop window and have a copy of the relevant complaints procedure to hand in their offices). If the agent refuses to help then you can start a complaint with the ombudsman, but this must be done swiftly as there are time limits of 6 months from the final response of you agency, and 12 months from the event you are complaining about, so regarding the damp you need to apply to the ombudsman before March 2011.

The ombudsman services are both free to use and they provide an impartial service to hear and resolve disputes between clients and their estate agents.

The two websites are as follows,

TPOS: http://www.tpos.co.uk/
    OS-P: http://www.surveyors-ombudsman.org.uk/

If No:
    If your property is not rented through an agency, but through a private landlord then unfortunately you cannot use the above ombudsman services. There are plenty of useful resources out there, including Citizen's Advice, your local council and Shelter who can all help with landlord and tenant disputes.

This Shelter page is useful:
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_ad...sponsibilities

I wish you all the best,

CT

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X