• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lodgers posessions left behind - offered to store for a few months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodgers posessions left behind - offered to store for a few months

Lodger (was a friend) left 7 months ago due to being very holtile and threatening to me.

They ended up being sectioned for mental health reasons that evening and sent them letter of 14 days (reasonable time) to remove property, but afterwards offered to keep them due to his situation.

He is now being disreslectitful and messing me about on arranging collection day (now he's living in a flat alone). I'm going to give official 14 day notice again (reasonable time) and this time stick to it.

Because I've kept them so long do I need to give longer than 14 days?
    Last edited by jambo; 23rd September 2018, 10:19:AM. Reason: to make easier to read
    Tags: None

Hello

14 days in the eyes of the law is generally considered a reasonable amount of time. If you are claiming money owed to you before you gave the notice, then you need to give at least 3 months. Otherwise, if it's simply a case of leaving his possessions then 14 days is fine, particularly given his situation.

I would suggest that you send him a letter or an email to that effect and point out to him that he has messed you around previously so if the goods are not removed by X date, then you will dispose of them.

Be aware that if the goods are valuable you have a duty to ensure you sell them at a reasonable price and the proceeds must be returned to him. If the value is of a nominal value then you should be fine to dispose of them completely, but be careful as he could issue legal proceedings if they did turn out to be valuable.

Other points of consideration is to make an inventory of the goods and attach that list to the letter so there is no dispute. Also prior to disposing of them, you should maybe take a picture of their condition in case he also claims you have damaged them.

There's an example letter and notice in my list of templates on the link below, under 9b. You should adapt it to suit your situation.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you ROB.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X