• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Co-owners and tenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-owners and tenants

Hello
    My brother co-owns a property (they all have a joint mortgage on the property). Currently none of the owners live in the property and they have a tenant living there paying rent to cover the mortgage. My brother would like to know if he has the right to give the tenant notice without consent from the other owners. He would like the property vacated and does not want any further tenants in the future. Can he a) serve notice on this tenant without consent from the other co-owners and b) refuse to allow any future tenants to reside in the property (which would be against the wishes of the other owners).

Many thanks

Sorry i know this should be in the property forum but i couldn't see how to do that
    Tags: law, property, tenant

Hi,

I dont think so, theres rules around joint assets to stop one owner affecting the asset by actions/inactions. Like when people devorce or business split. You might just be able to give the tenant notice ( depends on wording of the TC ), but you could not block the others owners iether withdrawing it, or getting a new tenant.

Infact, you brother could be held for losses if its considered hios action was to purposfully affect the other owners
    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X