• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Neighbour erecting Scaffolding on my drive under Party Wall Act; must I agree to it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbour erecting Scaffolding on my drive under Party Wall Act; must I agree to it?

Under Party Wall Act I'm the 'Adjoining Neighbour' of a soon to be erected 2 story, side/back extension. Due to my neighbour being Mr. Sneaky, his extension is acquiring extra costs££ in terms of Party Wall Surveyors; 3 of them. Had he bothered to speak with me from the get-go it could have been avoided; for example he was planning 3 windows on my side of his extension; within 2.5m of my house!! I had a fight on my hands with Council, also had to get help of a Councillor, but got 'rid' of all 3 windows; now no windows.
    Neighbour wants to put scaffolding on my drive, and take up 1.5m of 2.5m wide drive - leaving me with approx. 1m wide to get out of my door/step and up/down my drive. He will further extend the scaffolding 1.5m to the front and back of my house (and his) on my drive. At the front it'll leave me with the length of my car + about 1m. But who wants to park a car within 1m of a 'building site'? I’ll be unable to park on my drive or any family/friends/workers etc. for however long he takes to build his extension. Surveyors are lying all over the place too, hence the 3rd Surveyor in on the act; they're really a well-oiled 'tag-team'. PW Surveyors told me originally that the PW Award would have written into it the specific number of weeks the scaffolding would be allowed on my property, with an addendum that I would charge neighbour £150 pw for every additional week the scaffolding remained on my property/drive. Surveyor said it would 'gee my neighbour up to get job finished ASAP'. Surveyor said he thought 10 weeks would be good, allowing for bad weather. I agreed to this as it gave me some 'comfort' that the scaffolding would be gone as soon as the # weeks were used up. Then a month later, the same Surveyor told me over phone that he'd not said this at all; then that he had said it, but as an example of another client of his, but it didn't relate to my case?! Then he said maybe something could be done but he'd have to see? He totally confused me, but I figured out they were both working for my neighbour and lying to me.
    I got in touch with a RICS Surveyor, as the 2 already on the case are useless and not RICS Surveyors. Question: Party Wall Act states 'workers & surveyors' etc. are allowed on my property, but says nothing about me having to allow anything 'physical' like Scaffolding. It's not even implied. Under the Act, my Rights state I cannot suffer ANY unnecessary inconvenience. I park my car on my drive, near my door, as this particular car is 'low', and I can't get the front of it in my garage without scraping it. I've lived here 24 years btw, used garage until late 2012; 18 years. I use it to store garden implements like lawn mowers etc. I'm pretty infirm already with Fibromyalgia/ME, and about to be tested for ‘early onset Dementia’. If I lose use of my drive to park my car on for an unstated period of time, I'm going to struggle to carry food bags or anything, from wherever I can find to park, to my door. I don't want to be unnecessarily obstructive BUT Mr. Sneaky has been sneaky throughout. There was NO reason to involve Surveyors had he been reasonable and communicated with me. Neighbour on other side of me built a very large extension and communicated with me throughout - and there were no problems at all. So it's not me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X