• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Place of employment destroyed by fire.... ?employees rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for the clarification Ula. and removing identification
    Will pass on to daughter.
    Clauses 5 & 6 are on the attachment here

Clause 5
    Daughter is a trifled concerned because she knew some of the nursery clients socially prior to them becoming clients of her employer.
    One is even an old school friend, so clause 5 could be a problem in the future.

Clause 6
    Essentially ties an employee to the nursery as they can't go and be employed nor set up in a "restricted business" anywhere, or am I misreading this?

Comments appreciated
    Last edited by Kati; 29th May 2018, 17:20:PM.

Comment

Clause 5 How likely is it she could be employed directly or indirectly by any of the clients she knew socially before starting the nursery?

Clause 6 My reading in para 1is that the restriction is for 3 months after termination.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Re clause 6 it wasn't the time limit that was causing concern but the geographical spread "anywhere".
        Buying & selling businesses often puts a limit of eg within 5 miles of existing business

Re clause 5 It seems excessive to forbid any employment (not just restricted business) with a nursery client, and in this part of the world peeps often move to work for acquaintances in a different field of employment. She has no plans at the mo', but you never know

Comment

I hear what you say.

My overall view of what I have seen is that the contract in places is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. The restrictive clauses are onerous and given the role I would expect, from my experience they would be limited to moving to a similar job in the local area i.e. to avoid poaching of staff between nurseries or clients deciding to entice staff away to work directly.

Has there been any response to your daughter's letter about signing under protest?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi Ula
            The insistence on returning the forms signed on Monday was changed to individual meetings today to explain the new contract.
            Daughter should be in there at the moment arguing her corner.

One point I have told her she should not give way on is the start date.
            She has been employed by them for the past three years, but they want to put today's date as start date of employment in the new contract.
            A severe loss of rights methinks!

I'll post up the outcome when I know it

Comment

Please do let me know how it goes. Her continuous service is from her original start date with the nursery.

Comment

Daughter just messaged OH that she was back home and not sacked!

Apparently she has had 9 mile radius inserted in clause 6
                Getting more info on training fees
                Start date agreed 2015 (and that was the most important bit)
                Lockable box to be provided for mobile phones
                Parent relationship clause is staying in due to past experience apparently

Many thanks for your Input Ula

Comment

Thanks for the update des8.

Good on the things that she has got changed and particularly important was her start date being agreed. Good also to see your sensible suggestion on the lockable box has been agreed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X