• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Am I working or not? - on call question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I working or not? - on call question

Hi Folks,

Working time regulations say ...

1.2 Working hours include any time when the worker is at the employer’s disposal and is expected to carry out activities for the employer.

Work-related training is counted as part of the working week.

Travel time to and from work is not counted as working hours (but travel as part of the employee’s duties is).

Lunch breaks are not working hours (but a working lunch is).

Being on standby to be called out, if the employee is at the place of work, is counted as working hours. If the employee is on call and free to pursue leisure activities, it is not. For transport workers ‘periods of availability’ known in advance do not count as working time.

I work as an IT engineer an I am currently on call 1 week in 2 whilst on call I can be called anytime outside of normal working hours ( normal hours are mon - fri 8:30 - 4:30) As a senior engineer I am also a permanent escalation which means issues could get escalated to me anytime outside of normal hours any day of the year, however I am not contractually obliged to respond to escalations. My company has a zero alchohol policy and I am expected to respond to calls within 15 minutes. Which means taking a phone call and remotely logging into work and working on whatever issue I've been called about. Or if it can't be resolved remotely travelling to site. Given the fact that whilst on call I can't drink and can be no further than 15 minutes away from a computer and the Internet. Would you consider that whilst I am on call I am "free to pursue leasure activities?"

thanks in advance for your input.
    Tags: None

Re: Am I working or not? - on call question

Is your issue that you are unable to drink during the week you are on call or that it limits your time to pursue leisure activities.................or both?

As to your question

Would you consider that whilst I am on call I am "free to pursue leasure activities?
    I would say yes, you are free to pursue leisure activities, as long as you are able to meet the requirements of your contract by being able to respond to calls etc, but no it does not constitute your working hours.

Are you paid extra whilst on call/if called out.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Re: Am I working or not? - on call question

There was a similar post to this on here not long ago involving an IT engineer.

I agree completely with [MENTION=7]Tools[/MENTION]

- Matt
      Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X