• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

1 day sick and 1 holiday request resulting in dismissal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 day sick and 1 holiday request resulting in dismissal

I've been working for charity fundraising on the phones for the past 2 weeks.

I took a day off on Wednesday because I perforated by ear drum. I went to the doctors and gained a doctors note. I couldn't work. My ear was full of blood and I felt dizzy with a severe headache. Work did not like me taking a day off and began to push me into working my day off. (I have to work weekends and I can choose a day to take off in the next week as a day in lieu). I'm not paid for sick leave. On my day off, work rang me and pushed me to come into work. It was my scheduled day off and I told them to listen to the call back as I was not told I needed to come in due to my day off sick but they took it no further.

I have had a holiday booked since July and its only for one day, Saturday. (Im taking my fiancee to london for her birthday) I've requested this off and my employer said that I will be fired if I take off a day.
    Is this legal? Don't I have any statutory holiday rights? Or sickness since I even gave them a doctors note. Any advise will be helpful!
    Tags: None

Re: 1 day sick and 1 holiday request resulting in dismissal

Your employer is telling you boll===s

how long have you been employed for
    ill move on to the contractual issue later

Comment

Only 2 weeks but surely I can have 1 day off :s

Comment

Within your probationary period or up to 2 years of employment, the employer can get rid of you with no comeback, only discrimination would be an exception

your contract of employment is the key but you cannot be made to work more than 48 hours in a week
        you have to have at least a 10 hour break between shifts and 24 hour break once a week

the only way an employer would get around this would be if you signed out , or opt out of the working time regulation

please explain how the holiday was booked, how did the employer confirm you can take this day off AND MAY I ASK YOUR AGE

Comment

I asked my manager that I wanted to take that day as holiday. It's one week in advance.
          He asked, what for? I explained that I had spent £200+ on this trip that has been booked since July.
          He simply said no and if I did, even as sick or otherwise, I would be fired on the spot.
          Im 21

Comment

I am realy sorry but you do not have a leg to stand on unless you made the employer aware of the holiday at the interview before you were taken on as you said you have only been employed for 2 weeks

i cant even use the young worker angle

soRry but its tough out their for new starters with the regulations being watered down all the time

Comment

I believe I did tell them. I said I needed one day off on the 27th to go to London.
              Where would that bring me?

Comment

Unless you can get the person who did the interview to confirm that you are stuffed

if you can get it confirmed then the employer would have to honour it

Comment

That isn't going to happen. This place is terrible.
                  My manager keeps hitting staff around the head with a cardboard tube. He hit some hippy kid so hard that his headset came off mid call. No respect at all.
                  Last Saturday only two of us came in and were expected to get the same as the other team which had 7 people. It's a joke. They were allowed to go home early but not us even though they managed to hit the target, just because the last donation was the minimum. Awful.
                  Thank you appreciate your help. Not worth being in.

Comment

welcome to 21st century britain
                    low wage
                    short term contracts
                    employers who think they can do what they want with no come back
                    performance management gone mad

this is a prime example of why to belong to a trade union
                    people wake up, its not the 1970s, its the 21st century
                    thats why we have this situation in today work place now

rant over

Evil prevails when good men do nothing

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X