• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Anyone know anything about the Civil Procedure Rules 38.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know anything about the Civil Procedure Rules 38.7

Hi everyone

I just wanted a quick bit of advice. Blemain Finance issued a claim in 2012 and when the matter went to court and the judge was appalled that they were trying to gain possession of a property for such a small amount (1700) and refused to grant them possession. Instead the judge asked that I file a fully pleaded defence on or and that the claimant file and serve their reply.

I filed the defence and then on March 2013 I received a letter from the claimant's solicitors saying that they have been instructed to vacate the court proceedings. I called the court to find out why and they said because an agreement had been reached. No agreement between us has ever been reached. I have had a solicitor look over the loan agreement and she said that according to the terms therein, that I should pay £399.00 which I offered to them and they refused.

I also received a letter from the court saying:

"I can confirm that the court received a letter from the claimant requesting that they wish to withdraw all proceedings. This means that the case is now closed. Please note that you will have to seek legal advice if you are going to issue proceedings against the claimant".

I received a further claim form for possession of property from Blemain Finance and I have to attend court soon. I now have to respond to this claim and wanted to know whether I could use the fact that they previously withdrew their case as part of my defence.

I know from a previous post that Civil Procedure Rules 38.7 might come into effect. Could I possibly use this rule to help me in my defence also?

I just contacted the court to ask whether the claimant needed to obtain permission to bring a new claim. They told me that they didn't and that they could re-list the case at any time. The provisions of CPR 38.7 seem quite clear to me, so why doesn't it seem to apply to my case?

I would really appreciate any advice you could give me.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X