• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

court claim from UKPC parking charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• court claim from UKPC parking charges

Hi all,

i received a court claim letter today due to five parking charges I received between August and October 2014.

I am being asked to pay £780, £650 of which is for the car parking charges (£130 each)

Two of the notices were served for parking outside the ‘lines’ and three were for displaying an ‘invalid permit’.

I had ignored all letters for the past four years relating to these notices as I stupidly thought they would go away.

i have attached a copy of the court letter, the notice in the car park and the lines I am supposed to park within.

i have lived at the property since August 2014 and still live here now. I don’t receive tickets anymore even if I am not parked within the lines because the ticket inspector recognises my vehicle. Parking is often a nightmare as people don’t park within the lines and overlap my space meaning I have no choice but to park outside the lines or in another person’s space.

as for the invalid permit, I was displaying the permit given to me by my letting agents and when I started receiving tickets for it being invalid, they arranged for Lambert Smith Hampton who were the building managers at the time to send me a new one. I have also taken a photo of this for your perusal.

LSH told me they would get the tickets rescinded but this never happened. We’ve had two further property managers since then.

I pay rent each month to my letting agent and the car park space is included in my rent which is detailed in my letting agreement.

i am very scared as I hope to buy a property this year and do not want a CCJ against me. I feel like just paying the full £780 but my husband insists we fight it.

If you can offer any help and support I really would appreciate it.

thanks so much.
    Tags: None

The documents
    Attached Files

Comment

More evidence
      Attached Files

Comment

First of all take down the claim form and repost without the password. Next go online and acknowledge the claim using the details on the claim form. Do not put anything in the defence. Acknowledging gives you 33 days from the date of issue to get a defence into the court.

If LSH can send you a copy of an email or letter they sent to UKPC asking them to cancel the charges that would be good. What does your rental agreement say about parking? If it says you have a parking space then you have no need to create a contract with UKPC for parking. Bit more detail than the inventory. Will the landlord/letting agent provide you with a copy of the lease? you may have to get a copy from the land registry (a small charge) to show that the flat has the right to park

That sign is a forbidding sign in that if you do not have a permit then there is no offer of a contract to park for non valid permit holders and therefore there can be no breach of contract.

Comment

Thanks Ostell. Have followed your instructions.

i have also emailed my letting agent to request a copy of the lease.

i appreciate your advice about the forbidding sign which makes sense.

i truly appreciate your response. Thank you

Comment

Letting agent is contacting the landlord to get a copy of his lease. Meanwhile I’ve emailed the property management to see if they have the power to rescind the tickets (not sure if UKPC are working for them or for the landowners) I have also written a letter to the landowners to see if they have the power to rescind the tickets. The rental agreement is a generic one with only the parking being mentioned in the inventory.

Comment

Property management got back to me today and said there is nothing they can do. UKPC work on their behalf, not the official landowners. They contacted UKPC who said I had to liase with the debt collection agency who now owns my debt. Yet the court claim letter says I am being claimed by UKPC.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X