• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Need urgent help setting aside CCJ in court against EON

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need urgent help setting aside CCJ in court against EON

Hi There,

It's my first post in the forum so apologies in advance for rambling on or not explaining anything correctly or as efficiently as other members on here.. I just need some urgent help in relation to a court date next week.

So last year I moved out of a house and closed my energy and water accounts on the same day. Roughly 3 months later I was contacted by my energy supplier stating I owed in excess of nearly £1000 in energy bills and that my account was still open. I made them aware I no longer lived at the property and that the bill was definitely incorrect as no one made me aware of this when I previously called to close my account 3 months prior. They refused to look into the bill and insisted I provided a forwarding address. I made it very clear that I would provide a forwarding address as soon as someone looked into the bill. The phonecall swiftly ended on me awaiting a response from my energy supplier.

Around 4 months later I received a letter through the post to my new address from a debt collection agency attempting to recover the original bill plus a heavy amount of fees added on for visiting my property. Through research and tracing things back I then came to realise I had been issued with a CCJ back in November without me even knowing. I immediately followed this up and worked out that EON had filed a CCJ against my name to the old address full well knowing that I did not live there anymore.I contacted EON and tried to resolve this by sending in my tenancy agreement first which decreased the final bill amount, then sending in my final read which also decreased the final bill amount further.

Moving forward I've recently applied to have the CCJ set aside and to stay the writ based on the situation and events that have happened since I moved out of my old property and I have been given a court date for next week. Yesterday I received an email from a member of the EON legal team basically stating that they accept full responsibility for what has happened, they apologise and don't see the need to go to court as they are willing to remove the CCJ and I presume they will also re bill me for the correct amount.

What is my best option? Should I continue with the court date, reply to EON and resolve it before the court date? Is there anything I can do here to simplify the situation and get the best outcome for myself?

Joe,
    Tags: None

Are they also offering to pay your costs you have been put to up to date - Court Fees for example. Set Aside by consent is good way to go.

Comment

Hi Ploddertom,

Thanks for your response.. il post a small section of the email they wrote to help you understand. They say in order to save costs and wasting time they are willing to set aside the CCJ and provide an order in the same.

"We note that this matter has been listed for a hearing on 25 June 2018. In light of this, and in order to save costs and avoid wasting the time of the parties and the court unnecessarily, we propose that we agree by consent to your application to set aside judgment and provide an order in the same. Should you wish to agree to the terms of the order please print, sign and return to the undersigned".

i am going to call EON tomorrow and request further information on what exactly they are agreeing to do.

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X