• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Over booking of hotel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over booking of hotel

Hi,
    Can anyone advise me of my rights regarding holiday company over booking my hotel.

I booked a holiday over the internet in January with a booking company. This included flights, hotel and transfers. I fly out tomorrow but have just recieved an e mail saying the hotel is over booked. I have been offered an alternative hotel of the same standard. I do not really want to change hotels but it looks like I have no choice. The booking was made on my credit card.

Thanks for any advice John.

Re: Over booking of hotel

Hi John,
    I used to work for a big travel firm, what many people did in these circumstances where to go, and when you get back write a letter to the hotel, the company who sold you the holiday, send several letters explain all, and look into "ABTA" or is it "ATOL" can't remember one of those will give you the guidelines, I would post that for you but limitations in work wont let me get on the sites hope that points you in a better direction.
    OPB
    ~Never has PPI refunds been owed to so many...by so few~

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I have no alternative but to go with the new hotel. I have been offered £15 per person compensation which i have rejected. Have informed them that i an going under protest and will look at claiming when i get back. John.

Comment

Ye its not good, if they given you no notice, I've seen people refuse going, then say they had to go to that hotel becuase of family sharing/close to venue and they get a 75-100% refund and rebook £15 pp refund is a joke really!!

Have an nice holiday anyway. Hope we hear an outcome soon.

Comment

I'm always amazed when I hear of airways and hotels overbooking. The excuse being that some people don't turn up. Sorry, but if I pay for a place/seat and don't turn up, then I fully expect that to remain empty. If they do manage to sell it on, then I expect them to refund my money as they are not out of pocket. What are the chances of being refunded under those circumstances? Very little I would imagine.

Comment

Well, like you have stated you have booked it with good intentions of going holidaying and paying, they've sold it under false pretences, If you where to refuse the holiday im sure they would be obliged to refund you. The thing is with holiday refunds they take a long time, mostly becuase as soon as you've booked and paid every party gets paid - Travel company - airline - Hotel etc etc and everybody takes their cut (normally 1.5%) and reversing it all the way down the line takes weeks somtmes months thats why people end up having to fight these companies.

If when you get back its not satisfactory i would definatley complain to whoever you booked it with and the Hoteliers.

Comment

Ah, but the question here being, did they pay the hotel twice for the same rooms? Or have they block booked a certain amount of rooms, expecting some of their clients to pull out, this hasn't happened and now they are looking for alternative accommodation? Surely at the stage when they realise this has happened, they should be contacting their clients to ask them what they want.

Comment

I would say it sounds like the hotels fault, Did you book directly with the hotel or through an agency, I would imagine agencies would book via their website/software and they can only see what the hotels let them.

Let me know who you've booked it with and will do my research.

OPB

Comment

Hi Just got back .
                  The hotel and flights were booked through sunshine.co.uk which I believe is a booking agent. The replacment hotel was ok but checked befrore we went and the prices were £50 cheaper per room than the one we had requested. Hope this helps any info on who I should contact would be appreciated.
                  Thanks John.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X