• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Compensation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compensation

Hi not sure if this is in the right section .

I live in a housing association house and they have been updating the windows recently using a certain company. We started having ours done in January. They came out to measure then supposed to be one day all done but a certain window was wrongly measured. They remeasured and we arranged another visit. The same thing happened 4 times...four days turn up wrong window and vanish. We have also had them back to replace 3 units in 3 window as they were blown and letting condensation in.

The last time the wrong window was installed but could not be opened because of the eaves outside...they left it roughly fitted with expandable foam and it took two months of chasing to get them out again and a long day fitting the right window at last.

we have said we want compansating for all the wasted days of them visiting and the disruption and six months of rearranging appointments etc. They are demanding a wage slip or will give us the housing associations standard £10 per visit. This feels like an invasion of privacy?

Also for the last two months my daughter could not open the window and this was to be a special fire escape window so basically she would not of got out if there was a fire blocking her door. They are saying it wasn't a h&s risk.

Anyone with any knowledge on how we can go forward with this. We have still to have another appointment to sign the job off.

thanks worried2014
    Tags: None

Forgot to say they are demanding a figure for the h&s risk to go back to their boss with...this was a very rude customer relations person

Comment

I know this probably won't change anything but also with the wrong window in we couldn't fit curtains so 2 months of disruptive sleep right as she was taking her A levels

Comment

I would have thought your claim for compensation would have been against the HA anyway as the contractors contract will be with HA.

I believe for not completing repairs on time compensation is limited to £10 for first day+ £2 pd thereafter u[to a maximum of £50

Tagging Crazy council who will know more

Comment

You’re first port of call would be to make a complaint to your HA and ask them to send one of their surveyors out to you. As a tenant your complaint would have to be to the H/A and not the contractor as it is them whom you entered into a contract with by signing your tenancy agreement.

All housing associations will have a time frame to repair/prioritise depending on the repair(in this case it will be calling the contractor back). When a complaint is logged and if you are not satisfied with your initial response, you can then ask for it to go higher until you reach a satisfactory solution. This can go all the way to the board.

As for signing off, the windows would have to be in perfect working order and usually an employee from the housing association would be present at the time (hence call out their surveyor first).

https://www.gov.uk/housing-association-homes/complaints

Comment

Thanks.

I have complained to the HA and have had no response at all. I really do not want to have the surveyor out....ours is a complete git who thinks we should all live in complete squalor and if we try to make the houses look nice (nothing major - I'm talking a couple of planters) he makes comments that things should be plain as they were. Never met anyone who makes me feel like s*** as this man

Do they have a right to request a payslip? I just feel this is overstepping their rights.

thanks

Worried2014

Comment

Have you put your complaint via email? If not put another complaint in as you will then have the evidence. If it is still ignored, then take it to the housing ombudsman as they have failed to comply with their own complaints procedure. With regards to payslip, this is really a case for your HA to address.

Comment

Yes, first complaint was dropped as we had dealt with it directly with the company then 2nd complaint on 21st June.

I will send again

thanks

Comment

Your HA will have so many working days to respond to your complaint, although good practice is to acknowledge it. Check your HA’s complaints procedure, most are available online.

Comment

If you continue your complaint directly with the contractor, and if they accept your complaint, and if your request for compensation includes damages for time off work or unpaid holiday, then you would need to prove your losses which could be done by submission of payslips.

However HA is still the way to go, altho' if contractor is willing to pay more than HA....................

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X