• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rodent problem at storage unit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodent problem at storage unit

hi,

i hired a red a storage unit in sept for my possessions as I had issues moving house, it was a big steel storage unit which was all good, now with the fact I was having housing issues I was also having financial issues so fell behind with my storage fees.

in January I got an email saying they were moving my stuff out of the storage unit as per their terms and conditions

at that point I made a payment plan with them to make up the outstanding fees.

i finished paying the outstanding fees last week and went to collect all my things on Friday.

they had moved them into a dusty old tin shelter that also had lots of machinery in.

once I had got home I realised all my stuff had been infested with rodents, rodent droppings and urine all over, I have had to dispose of a lot of things that cost a lot of money, children’s toys, clothes etc.

iv read the T&C and can’t find anything to do with rodents but also this has happened because of where they moved my stuff to........ I have lots of pictures to back up the claim.im wondering where do I go from here as I’m not happy and have had to dispose of a lot of things that cost considerable amount of money

thanks
    Tags: None

Good afternoon and welcome

Could you post up a copy of their terms and conditions, or give us a link to their online T&Cs.

Whatever, if they took a lien on your property until the outstanding fees were paid, they were in the position of a bailee and had a duty to take reasonable care of your goods.
    Reasonable care is the care they would have taken if the goods were their own.
    Having apparently failed in this duty there is a potential for exploiting the provisions of the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977 wherein it states that wrongful interference includes "negligence so far at it results in damage to goods" (Sec1 (c))

So write complaining of the negligence and request your damages.
    I doubt they will roll over, but it will be the start of the progress.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

Here is the link to the T&C on their website

http://www.securestore365.com/terms/

I will write to them for sure I’m just uncertain how I would word it lol

Comment

Did the hirer comply with terms 20 & 21 of the T&Cs?

Post your letter up before posting so it can be tweaked if necessary

Comment

Yes they did, I understand they moved my items but it’s more on where they put them, they put them in a place where rodents were able to get in and infest them.

yea I will post the letter here first thanks

Comment

So they continued to charge you after they had removed your goods from the container (the store) and whilst they held them elsewhere (in a store)?

Comment

Yea I had to make up the owed amount and then the accrued charges after they had moved the items

Comment

So IMO they owed more than a reasonable duty of care as you were still paying them for storage once they had moved them from your rented container.
                The contract appears not to have been terminated in fact, and possibly a contractual relationship still existed.

Tagging R0b for another view on this

Comment

Oh most definitely as they were still sending me invoices for monthly fees after they had moved my goods

Comment

Hello

The crucial question is whether you documented the damage to your goods before disposing of them? Also, do you still have access to that area where they dumped your goods, if so then you may wish to go back and take photos that are timestamped as evidence of the condition of the storage area where your goods were left.

Like Des has said, they have a duty to look after your goods but if you haven't documented the damage prior to disposal, I suspect they will argue otherwise until there is some proof on your part that they were to blame.

Your only option may end up being going to court but as the burden of proof rests with the claimant, if you have nothing then your claim is probably going to fail from the outset.

Did you have any insurance that covers you for the storage of your goods which you may be able to claim on (as per condition 22 of the T&Cs)?
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                      The crucial question is whether you documented the damage to your goods before disposing of them? Also, do you still have access to that area where they dumped your goods, if so then you may wish to go back and take photos that are timestamped as evidence of the condition of the storage area where your goods were left.

Like Des has said, they have a duty to look after your goods but if you haven't documented the damage prior to disposal, I suspect they will argue otherwise until there is some proof on your part that they were to blame.

Your only option may end up being going to court but as the burden of proof rests with the claimant, if you have nothing then your claim is probably going to fail from the outset.

I agree, and I would add that there would also need to be evidence of the condition of the goods when they went into store for a ‘before and after’ comparison if the OP intends to seek damages for their loss.

They would need to prove that the deterioration took place while in storage and not before.

Di

Comment

Hi,

i have documented proof in the form of photos, I took photos of everything I had to dispose of.

Can get photos of the store they kept them in as well, and that’s no problem.

No I didn’t take any insurance out on the storage at the time of renting the unit

Comment

Photos included damage and rodent droppings all over the items and boxes

Comment

Originally posted by Sentinal1980 View Post
                            i have documented proof in the form of photos, I took photos of everything I had to dispose of.

Can get photos of the store they kept them in as well, and that’s no problem.

Were these photos taken of the goods while they were in the storage area or when you had taken them home?

Di

Comment

At home, I just loaded the van up with the stuff at the storage and then wen getting them home and opening them I found all the rodent faeces

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X