• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :

URGENT HELP/ ADVICE NEEDED to challenge a decision, not to award Sure Start Maternity Grant.
    I am assisting a family member, to challenge a decision made by the DWP with regard to a Sure Start Maternity Grant - I hope somebody can give some clarity on the grounds for decision, as seems a bit unfair.
    My DIL gave birth to her first child 4 weeks ago. Prior to this, she had (as advised) made an application for a Sure Start Maternity Grant, which is a 'one off' grant/ payments of £500, awarded to first time mum's to assist with the cost of all the baby equipment/ clothing etc.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ******************************
    Anyway, she has received a decision letter from the DWP, stating 'on 23 November 2020 you made a claim for a Sure Start Maternity Grant from the Social Fund 'we have decided that you are not entitled to a payment.

This is for the following reason:-

At the date of your claim for this baby, there is another child under the age of 16, in your family - who is not:-

* another baby from the same pregnancy
    * The parent of the baby you are claiming for.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************
    History/ Background:

within the last 10-12 months, my Son's daughter from previous relationship (who was not living with him/ up to age13); had to leave the care of her own Mother/ owing to Domestic Violence issues and my she then placed in the care of my son, as she deemed to be in immediate danger. This is ongoing/ welfare concerns etc, still subject to Family Court Hearings (one coming up in February) where the 'childs biological mother 'is seeking to resume / apply for full-custody.(residency) via the Family Courts.

However, this child/ aged 13 years, currently estranged from her 'biological mother' owing to safeguarding issues, so remains with my son (her bioilogical father) and he had recently moved in with girlfriend/ expectant mother, for a number of months now.

It seems harsh, that his GF (age 25) being denied a Maternity Grant, for what is her first and only child, on the grounds that she is co-habitating with a man (father of her baby) who already fathered a child, now aged 13, currently staying/ living with him owing to her being placed in danger, if remaining at her mum address (primary carer),

Hopefully, there will be grounds to challenge this decision and I am trying to assist my daughter-in-law, making representations for, initially 'mandatory reconsideration' (within 1 month); then if no change, proceed to the 'appeal process'.

I have read the 2012 Act relating to the eligibility Criteria for being awarded a grant, but it somewhat unclear/ ambiguous and only allows the 'exception' of having other children (not being your own by birth, as & your partner - not the child's biological father) other exceptions, related to having another child; only aged under 1 year, who you are adopting or taking on Guardianship of?

The nature and extemt of ''exceptions' seems very limited and do not reflect, common scenarios based on today's standards/ likely circumstances? It seems ok to adopt a child or special guardianship - so long as not biological parent and child under 1 year old. But seems to totally deny young first time mums, the opportunity of receiving a grant for their first child, based on their current partner, having had a child from a previous relationship? (I had always understood it to be based on a first time mum, one off grant? So eg: the Child age 13 I refer to, her mother will have had this grant following her daughters birth 13years ago. So it reallt does not make sense?)

Any help/ advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanis in advance, hope someone out there can help??

THANK YOU
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X