• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PPI and Court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: PPI and Court

CAG also makes mistake of assuming interest is Linear (ie constant) which it is not

No--PF

Everyone of your agreements can be done like Marshy said--I'll post up my SS for Loan 2 & Loan 8 in a min to show you & also the calculation sheets for those 2--I was going to leave it until I get the thread Understanding PPI Calculations -- Settled Loans--but seeing its topical discussion here at the moment--I'll post your actual loan solutions--Obviously, in this particular case, me & Marshy soon agree as its relatively simple--but its cos all your loans were fixed rate rather than variable

Since I've been working with Marshy , I've realised that perhaps because we've (Bill & me) been on top of the subject so much , we've (me & Bill) may perhaps have been too clever in our formulas, and effectively hidden some of the logic-so people can't see the audit tail

As Marshy was (hope thats the right word-lol) reluctant to look at our SS--I have completely revamped them so they show all the intermediate steps just like how Marshy works--the advantage of the SS approach of course is speed and the ability to cater for missed payments,erratic payments and constant increase in the monthly pymnt due to % increases -like FirstPlus)--a situation which then makes pen & paper cumbersome. In the future, Marshy is going to be our sounding board & a 3rd member of the Simiantics Team

The same principle as Marshy uses is embedded in our SS but we call it the Apportionment Factor (no claim on originality, it suddenly clicked to me on MSE with discussions with Marshy & Tigrae and we've used the principal ever since, & simplified our whole approach.

Be back soon

Turbo

Comment

Right here's the 2 Calculation sheets for Loan 1 & Loan 2

These are from the Co-op to the FOS--the handwritten bits are FOS comments

Here's the SS I have used for these 2 loans

Right--we'll do the explainind in Loan 2

The key figure re Apportionment of the key cell L which contains 18.63%
      This is derived as Marshy has said-by dividing the PPI Loan of 689.85 by the TOTAL Loan of 3689.58---we show the % attributable to just the Cash Advance as 81.37% for completeness--but we don't need it

Now the red highlighted cells are the impertant ones

Normally I would work from the Loan statements with the actual settlement figure-but we ain't got any-so Marshy gives me the projected figure with PPI & without PPI using a Rule of 78 calculation website--these are highligted in L11 & L121

I bang 15 in L8 which is the number of payments made & the SS opens out instantly and tells us £239.66 was the PPI element (see I am multiplying the total payment of £85.76 by the 18.63%--

It simultaneously calculates 8% interest at 178.83

SO far in refunds line we have done Scheduled Monthly

Next the PPI part of the Settlement figure to pay off loan (this is usually where the big refund is)--560.83 by subtracting the 2 Rule of 78 figures- less refund of 340.27 already given--8%on 240.36 = 166.58

Total--825-ish (26 more than theirs--but that will be cos I'vetaken my 8% date later than theirs

Once I got this SS--every other one was easy

Shout if anybody wants to discuss (will be repeated in OUR Understanding thread of course-& we will tackle variable rates & eratic arrears)

Turbo
      Last edited by Turboman; 21st October 2010, 17:02:PM. Reason: 340.27

Comment

Originally posted by Turboman View Post
        In the future, Marshy is going to be our sounding board & a 3rd member of the Simiantics Team

Be back soon

Turbo
        Arh Turbo, thanks xx

Comment

Good explanations Marshy & Turbo. Also a good point about making the calculations easier to follow, for those who want to do this.

The problem I found with the CAG sheet was that it didn't actually calculate very much. It was used more as a 'list' for the figures, and all it seemed to really do was add them up. The core PPI calculations seem to have been done on a calculator or abacus, and then the results were just punched in to the spready. No audit trail, as Turbo implies.

Comment

Hi PF--I'll just up date, if I may, for the folks following your thread

In posts 417-423 we deduced the co-op figures were ok - except there was an issue with loan 1 where there was a "possibility" of substantial extra refunds if it could be proved PF paid a Settlement figure--but evidence not available

PfF sent new DSAR for Loan Statements

Accordingly, taking into account the current position and previous stress to PF, Marshy, Wendy & myself advised on calling it a day & accepting

Bill's view was to wait for the DSAR & hang on in there.

PF has (in post 353) got an extension on his decision from FOS to 15/12/2010 and the DSAR has until 15/11/2010 to be fulfilled

PF has now decided, as the DSAR is in motion, to wait to see if anything comes out of the woodwork in the DSAR before committing himself

Thinks that's the current position PF

Comment

Spot on could not have explained it better Thank You :beagle:
              If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill-K View Post
                Good explanations Marshy & Turbo. Also a good point about making the calculations easier to follow, for those who want to do this.

The problem I found with the CAG sheet was that it didn't actually calculate very much. It was used more as a 'list' for the figures, and all it seemed to really do was add them up. The core PPI calculations seem to have been done on a calculator or abacus, and then the results were just punched in to the spready. No audit trail, as Turbo implies.

Bill--thanks for your support here & in all technical issues previously

I would just like to emphasise that I am (from now ) both here & in MSE & PCF & PAG etc not going to bother to waste my time in countering arguments from other sites

( I have been stretched too much & both Bill & others have made me restrain")

We here (LB & you & the addition of our friend Marshy ( are quite capable of discussing internally &interpreting FOS & new Policy Docs re sums)--we have been diverted here ( & elsewhere) with red herrings!

Comment

Agreed, mate. We do what we do to the best of our ability. Others - presumably - do the same. This isn't a commercial enterprise, so we are not trying to generate business, and there is no need to promote ourselves in that respect.

But we are here to try and ensure that peeps get what they are entitled to, and in that respect I guess we tend to 'crusade' somewhat. I grieve for those who suffer at the hands of self-appointed gurus. At least the likes of you and I - and dear Marshy - do our best to research this stuff. I feel we do it because we get a buzz from genuinely helping peeps - as opposed to getting a few more psi pumped into our ego's.

But if I'm wrong, then 'pop' me with a pin - and listen to the noise I make as I deflate !!!

Sure. You're right. Let's keep focussed.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallka View Post

Whats tinypic Marshy

& why you got 2 tellies

Comment

Right PF--we need to be thinking what we are going to do if DSAR don't come tomorrow--

get ICO involved or whatever ? --Long drawn out process I suspect

FOS deadline is 15/12/2010 don't forget -- so if you want money for Xmas -- need to get a result or accept the offer well before then

Comment

Whats tinypic Marshy

& why you got 2 tellies
                        Its when we had friends round and we connected their laptop to our TV.

Tinypic is like "photo bucket" type thing. If i remove the piccies from there then they are removed from here also.
                        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
                        Right PF--we need to be thinking what we are going to do if DSAR don't come tomorrow--

get ICO involved or whatever ? --Long drawn out process I suspect

FOS deadline is 15/12/2010 don't forget -- so if you want money for Xmas -- need to get a result or accept the offer well before then
                        Do you think the ICO CAN get involved in documents from that long ago? Does the data protection act allow this? I thought they only legally had to keep records for 6 maybe 7 years? Would be happy to be corrected here?
                        Last edited by marshallka; 14th November 2010, 12:02:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ah--same as Photobucket---Sorry PF--but you know me-lol
                          Originally posted by marshallka View Post
                          Its when we had friends round and we connected their laptop to our TV.

Tinypic is like "photo bucket" type thing. If i remove the piccies from there then they are removed from here also.

Do you think the ICO CAN get involved in documents from that long ago? Does the data protection act allow this? I thought they only legally had to keep records for 6 maybe 7 years? Would be happy to be corrected here?
                          Dunno Marshy--Di might know
                          Last edited by Turboman; 14th November 2010, 12:04:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Ah--same as Photobucket---Sorry PF--but you know me-lol

Dunno Marshy--Di might know
                            Perhaps... you will have to give her a nudge to post up then.

Comment

Hiya, just came back now and received your pm Turbo.

Is this in regards of the ICO?

Comment

Yes--what do we do next if non compliant?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X