• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wrong Default Notice Date

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong Default Notice Date

Hi Everyone

I'm still battling to keep my head above water wrt debts I got into due to being made redundant in good job I had then, among others issues. I'm trying to get back on track. Debt with Barclay card was sold to IDR Finance UK Ltd on 20/02/12.

I spoke to Barclaycard today they said it was defaulted or charged off on 27/01/12, that default notice was sent to me on 18/09/11, I never received this.

I only received Notice of Assignment on 28.02.12, and I immediately rang then because I was still making token payment as the time and they said speak to IDR finance, and I remember checking my credit file then and no default was applied so I believe Barclays never defaulted this account.

However presently Links Financial is reporting 03/11/2014 as DEFAULT DATE but, attached notice from same IDR Finance which I received is dated: 20 May 2013. This made me wondering if attached is original default notice.

I disputed this info on Experien and got reply below:

My name’s Adam – I’m here to help you with your complaint.

Thank you for letting us know about this issue and for your patience while I’ve been looking into it.

Your complaint

Just to summarise:

I understand you are unhappy the default date on the Link Financial account appearing on your credit report is incorrect.

You have provided a statement from Link Financial suggesting that the default date was actually earlier than they have recorded.

What I’ve found

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your concerns. I recognise how worrying it must be to see data that doesn’t look correct on your credit report, especially if this is regarding something as notable as a default.

I have therefore reviewed our records to see what has happened.

How Information appears on your credit report

To provide some context, I would first like to explain how the information you have disputed has appeared on your credit report. The information we hold about you is passed on to us from companies like banks, credit card and utility companies. While we do everything we can to make sure this information is accurate, this is actually the responsibility of the company that shares it with us.

If incorrect information is therefore appearing on your credit report, this will be because a 3rd party have shared this information with us.

Reviewing our records, I can see in this instance Link Financial have confirmed the default date for the account in question was 03/11/2014.

It’s important to note however that because we don’t own this information, we aren’t allowed to make changes to it without the permission of the company that sent it to us. However, what we can do is contact the company on your behalf to ask them to change it.

I can see we contacted Link Financial on 18/06/2019 to dispute the accuracy of the information they had provided to us.

I can see they came back to us to confirm that they believed the data to be accurate, and therefore to not make any changes to it. This was confirmed in our email to you dated 08/07/2019.

Additionally, I noted that the account number referenced in the default notice you provided from Link Financial does not match the account number for the account on your credit report. It may therefore be in your interest to check that the default letter you shared with us relates to the account you are disputing.

So, what happens next?

Based on what I’ve found, we’ve acted fairly. This is because the data you dispute has appeared on your credit report, based on information provided to us by Link Financial. Whilst we have contacted them to dispute the accuracy of this, due to their decision I can’t change your report as you’ve asked.

However, if Link Financial does change any of your information, we will of course update your credit report to reflect that.

It may therefore be in your interest to contact Link Financial directly to discuss the date they have provided. I’ve included their contact details below:

LINK FINANCIAL LTD, 87-90, CAMELFORD HOUSE, ALBERT EMBANKMENT, LONDON, SE1 7TP

The other option you have is to add something called a notice of correction to your report. This is a note on your report that explains to anyone searching it why something might not be right. You can add a notice of correction for free, but you should know it will slow down any application for credit you might make (although it won’t harm your chances of getting credit). This is because your report will have to be looked at manually to take the note into account, so you won’t be able to get instant credit online, over the phone or in a shop.

If you would like me to draft a Notice of Correction to be included on your credit report, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I’ll be happy to complete this for you.

Want to discuss this more?

If you’ve got a question or there’s something you want to add, a colleague or I will be happy to help. Simply reply to this email or:

Call us: 0344 481 0060*

Write to: Customer Relations, Experian Ltd, PO Box 8000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF

Just to let you know, Experian is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and uses a set complaints handling procedure. You can find the details and timelines we work to on our website.

If you’d like to take this further

If you think my decision isn’t right or fair, you can always speak to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Here’s a message directly from the FCA – they ask us to phrase this exactly as they provide it:

“You have the right to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service, free of charge – but you must do so within six months of the date of this letter.

If you do not refer your complaint in time, the Ombudsman will not have our permission to consider your complaint and so will only be able to do so in very limited circumstances. For example, if the Ombudsman believes that the delay was as a result of exceptional circumstances.”

You’ll find all the details on their website:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/consumer-leaflet.htm. If you’d like me to send you this as a leaflet in the post, just let me know.

If you remain unhappy about how we've handled your personal information you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can find out how to do this on their website. You can also call their helpline on 0303 123 1113.

Kind regards,

Adam Brewin

Customer Relations Case Manager

Experian

* Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. Saturdays 8am to 4pm.

Calls to 0344 numbers are charged at the national UK landline rate and are usually inclusive of monthly phone contract packages. Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.

Any data you’ve provided will be handled in accordance with our Privacy Policy

- https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/privacy.html

Other useful links

experian.co.uk/assets/consumer/contact-us/complaint-handling-procedure.pdf

financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Attached Files
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X