• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CIFAS markers – confused

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIFAS markers – confused

Hello,

I am enquiring on behalf of my wife.

I made a SAR to CIFAS on her behalf and discovered that Capital One (Europe) PLC recorded a false identity marker in October 2020 with the following information:

“The first record relates to details provided within an application – the False Identity marker. This
    includes all the information provided to our member by an impersonator. Generally their true identity is
    not known, but what is known is the identity that they claim to be and the contact details they have
    provided. The name and usually the address will be of the innocent party, but they will provide their
    own contact details (or those under their control) such as mobile phone numbers and email address.
    This record is held for 6 years. We do not release the extra information provided by the person who is
    pretending to be the innocent party, as we consider such information is exempt from release on the
    basis of the prevention, or detection of crime, and the apprehension or prosecution of offenders.

The second record is a Victim of Impersonation or Victim of Takeover marker. This includes the
    genuine details of the victim, including their correct contact details, and is intended to protect the
    innocent victim from being further impersonated. It also allows Cifas members the option to contact
    the innocent party when they receive an application in their name, in order to confirm a genuine
    application. This record is held on our database for 13 months. Any Victim markers we hold about you
    are included within this response to you.”

We have written to Capital One and asked for an explanation and they said the marker has been correctly applied and that my wife can call the Application Fraud Team if she wants them to look into it further.

My wife does not have good English and does not deal with financial issues so is not going to call them but could someone please explain if the information Capital One have entered means they are accusing my wife of fraud or if they are saying someone has done fraud using her name as I am very confused.

Thank you for your time and help
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X