• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

In need of a bit of advice re: an old debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In need of a bit of advice re: an old debt

Hello,

I was advised this was the place to come for some help. I'm not entirely sure where I stand and if there's anything I can do but I'm hoping someone can help. I hope this is in the right place, the person who advised me to come here mentioned CCA, and apologies if not.

Years ago (about 9) I got an overdraft with Halifax. I was young and stupid and spent it all without putting any money back in the account. Through CCCS (now stepchange) I went on to a payment plan and started to pay this back with a token payment of £1. I have been doing this ever since and had actually forgotten all about it. Now I'm trying to get to the bottom of it but I don't have any paperwork for it.

I've checked my credit rating and it's listed as a default and is being dealt with by Cabot Financial. I rang them who said they don't have any information other than the following dates:
    Account opened with Halifax - 3/1/2006
    Account passed to Cabot - 5/3/2012
    Defaulted - 22/10/10

I have looked back through emails and have nothing. But I have just spoken to a very friendly man at my bank who confirmed the standing order for £1 was started on 30/9/2009. I also recall for a fair amount of time before this i went in to the Halifax and physically paid £1 so the repayment plan started before September 2009 for sure.

My first confusion is that I believe the default should have actually occurred earlier due to the fact my repayment plan was before the and, as a result, fallen off my credit rating. Is there any way of a) finding this out and b) if so, get my credit rating updated?

The second is, I'm not sure how long I've been paying the £1 and therefore don't know how much is actually left to pay.

Lastly, if Cabot don't have any information about the debt. what should I do about that?

Apologies for the VERY lengthy post - I thought it would be best to get everything I could think of down in the hope I might get a reply.

any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X