• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Complaining to a Bank(not bank charges): The Guide

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complaining to a Bank(not bank charges): The Guide

Introduction

This is a guide to complaining when something has gone wrong. The most important thing is to find out firstly what has happened. For example, I paid a cheque into my account but it is not showing there. A lot of people immediately go online and ask people they have never met and usually are advised to go and speak directly to the manager or to complain to the financial ombundsman who will, at the first point send you straight back to the bank.

Step One

I am going to deal with making a complaint against a member of staff at the end of this guide. If something goes wrong on your account the first thing you need to find out is what has happened and why it has happened. There is two ways of finding out information: 1) telephone the bank explain calmly what has happened and ask for an explanation, make sure you take the name of the person you are speaking to which maybe helpful later on in the process, or 2) write to the bank giving them a timescale for a response ie 14 days.

Step Two

If you receive a satisfactory response then all is fine or if they are looking into matters and keeping you informed as to the progress then fine. If not then you need to complain to the Customer Relations Unit of the Bank. Make sure you keep a timeline of what has happened or what the issue is and what you have done so far. Make sure you explain who you spoke to or wrote to and when.

Step Three

Normally this is where an explanation and resolution is found. If not, then the bank must provide a final response prior to taking it to the Finanacial Ombudsman Service.
    This is a basic Guide so below is a few additional things which is important to know

As a result of the bank's error I have out of pockets expenses and costs

Once the initial complaint has been settled you need to write a letter asking for compensation noting the timeline of the error and stating the out of pocket expenses and inconvenience caused by this. The bank should respond accordingly.

My complaint is against a member of staff

If the complaint is about the way a member of staff has treated you then the first point of call is the branch manager and if it is still not resolved then Customer Relations Unit. If the complaint is against the Branch Manager then speak with Customer Relations Unit at the first instance.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X