• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Planning Permission Query

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning Permission Query

I owned an old 3 storey house that was B1 office use with my business partner. In February 2016 we were granted planning permission to change to a 6 bedroom student house and work commenced on the property straight away. The VOA rated it as non domestic from that date and the local authority have billed us for council tax (exempted for 1year whilst renovating). In September, my husband bought out my partners share of the house for £51,000 and paid 3% stamp duty on the purchase, we are now joint owners.
    A local letting agent has advised us to apply for planning to change the use to 3 flats, as the HMO market has fallen where we live, so we submitted plans to change approx 2 weeks ago and paid a fee of £760, to create the 2 extra dwellings. The local authority have rejected the application as invalid because they are saying the house is still classed as office space, so asked us to re-word the application title to "change of use from offices to 3 flats" and also pay another £380 to create a third dwelling.
    Questions are these:
    1. After planning for change of use is granted, does the property immediately become residential at the point renovation starts?
    2. As the VOA and the authority themselves have rated it as council tax, how can the planning department say its office B!?
    3. If it's B1 still, why did we have to pay stamp duty at 3% when it changed hands?
    I've asked the authoirity all these questions, but they keep saying its still B1. Can anyone explain to me why please?
    Thanks for your help.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X