• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

friendly fraud via Paypal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• friendly fraud via Paypal

Without prejudice (just incase Paypal see this)

Background is:- I was commissioned by a US company to participate int an engineering design task. they payed by credit card through Paypal, Im UK based.

They cancelled the project several weeks in, I'm assuming because they discovered the project wasn't going to succeed, financially, technically, ???.
    I dont know as they never told me, but sent an email saying

"Hello ***, I am very sorry but I will have to stop the project Please refund **** USD (it's **%) It will be fair for everybody."

I though the refund request was reasonable and was considering it, when a few days later, Paypal informed me there was a dispute raised for the full amount.
    I sent all the email and engineering drawings involved, and they ruled in my favour, restoring my account. Especially as the US company had withdrawn one of
    the disputes (there were 2 stages, hence 2 orders and 2 disputes).

After that Paypal informed me the US Co had started a charge back thu there credit card company. They say it can take up to 75 days and have debited my account several thousand pounds, putting it in the red. They have already started threatening with a collections agency.

My question is, Paypal accepted the credit card payment, I have no credit card agreement with anyone, I don't even own a credit card, as im in a voluntary dept repayment scheme and cant take on any additional debt. Can Paypal sue me for the money, if the credit card company decide in favour of there client, or is it Paypal's liability as they accepted the credit card payment.

I have to say I wont be paying, and will go to court if that's required, but any informed opinion is keenly sought.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X