• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hello everyone! In need of advise with attachment of earnings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone! In need of advise with attachment of earnings

Hello all and thanks for having me!

So yesterday I found out that I have an attachment of earnings - council tax on my record. Obviously confused and annoyed that this random total of money had been taken from me, I phoned up everywhere I could think of until my employer presented me with the documents they had received.

As a student, I lived in a house between June 2012 and June 2013 in Huddersfield. I only met the landlord once and everything went through the housing agency. All documents were signed and valid and there was nothing untoward - in fact the agency were great in every instance. When I moved out, I signed my name, gave back my keys and moved back in with my parents until February of 2015, at which point I moved in to a house with my fiancé, so I naturally presumed everything was done and dusted.

As it turns out, the attachment of earnings is to do with unpaid council tax, as neither the landlord nor the agency had told them I'd moved out of the house in Huddersfield, which they were supposed to do. Throughout this time, notifications, court summons and bailiff appearances have been going to this house where I haven't lived since being a student in 2013. Naturally, I haven't received anything and the first to find out about it was my employer - who presumed I already knew so did not notify me themselves.

The landlord is currently going through his files to find our tenancy agreements and, failing this, the agency have 'archived' (what?) their copies so we can send them off to the council.

Even though I'm currently paying council tax now at our new house, their liability order is still open - which makes no sense to me as I had to change all of my addresses with the likes of student finance and my university to my mum and dads. Similarly, we moved in to our new house in February 2015, paying council tax and we're on the electoral roll; why have they not checked any of this and told me about this sooner? Is it right for them to do this and charge me without giving me the chance to get everything together?

Kirklees council are useless and keep churning out the same thing no matter who I speak to. I had to fight to even get them to tell me the duration for which I supposedly owed.

Can anyone give me any advice on my next move?

Thank you very much
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X