• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Returning goods not as described - am I entitled to a refund?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returning goods not as described - am I entitled to a refund?

I purchased a second hand, but relatively expensive, watch from a jewellery store in Kent on 18/09/19 for the value of £7,000.

The watch was sold without official papers but with the retailer's own “authentication card" which stated the watch was a particular model number. Having subsequently attempted to sell the watch (and having received a query from a prospective buyer) I have verified via the watch manufacturer that I am in fact in possession of a different model.

I understand that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described, and that I am entitled to ask to return the watch and obtain a refund for the full purchase amount. I believe the claim is being lodged within the limitation period given in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

My argument to the store is that I relied on the model information they provided to proceed with the purchase, as I was - at the time - happy with the purchase price, based on the details supplied. They have not yet agreed to a refund, although they have conceded my watch is a different model to the one stated at the time of purchase. They argue the only difference is a slight cosmetic detail, and that the year of manufacture is different. They concede the watch they described could have a different value to the one I own.

Am I right to believe I am entitled to a return and refund? If they refuse to honour this, am I likely to be successful in court? I am in possession of the watch, til receipt and the retailer's information card.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Kind regards
    King of Porto
    Tags: None

Hi King

Welcome to LB

How did you pay for the watch?

Comment

Originally posted by KINGOFPORTO View Post
      I purchased a second hand, but relatively expensive, watch from a jewellery store in Kent on 18/09/19 for the value of £7,000.

The watch was sold without official papers but with the retailer's own “authentication card" which stated the watch was a particular model number. Having subsequently attempted to sell the watch (and having received a query from a prospective buyer) I have verified via the watch manufacturer that I am in fact in possession of a different model.

I understand that under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described, and that I am entitled to ask to return the watch and obtain a refund for the full purchase amount. I believe the claim is being lodged within the limitation period given in the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

My argument to the store is that I relied on the model information they provided to proceed with the purchase, as I was - at the time - happy with the purchase price, based on the details supplied. They have not yet agreed to a refund, although they have conceded my watch is a different model to the one stated at the time of purchase. They argue the only difference is a slight cosmetic detail, and that the year of manufacture is different. They concede the watch they described could have a different value to the one I own.

Am I right to believe I am entitled to a return and refund? If they refuse to honour this, am I likely to be successful in court? I am in possession of the watch, til receipt and the retailer's information card.

Many thanks for any assistance.

Kind regards
      King of Porto

Hello, thank you for reply. By credit card...

Comment

From what you say, you appear to have a good claim against the retailer for a full refund.

Having paid by credit card, you appear also to have a good claim against the card company under s75 Consumer Credit Act 1974, so take it up with the card company if the seller does not give a refund.

(There is no need to quote yourself when replying).
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
          From what you say, you appear to have a good claim against the retailer for a full refund.

Having paid by credit card, you appear also to have a good claim against the card company under s75 Consumer Credit Act 1974, so take it up with the card company if the seller does not give a refund.

(There is no need to quote yourself when replying).
          Apologies for the quote in error and thank you for your reply. I was under the impression from a Google search that there is a shorter window of time to bring s75/ chargeback claims?

Comment

A s75 claim is NOT a chargeback claim. s75 makes the credit provider jointly liable for the supplier's breach of contract, so the limitation period is that for claims for breach of contract, not that you want to be leaving it 6 years.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
              A s75 claim is NOT a chargeback claim. s75 makes the credit provider jointly liable for the supplier's breach of contract, so the limitation period is that for claims for breach of contract, not that you want to be leaving it 6 years.
              Most helpful, thank you. I shall first push the retailer to give a definitive answer as to whether they intend to honour my request for a return and refund, and go from there. Thanks again.

Comment

Make sure you attach evidence. Make sure you get Proof of Postage

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/co...edit-provider/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X