• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Tenant Rights on Construction work Whilst in Rented Property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant Rights on Construction work Whilst in Rented Property

Hi All,

I have a fairly complicated and odd situation and would be extremely grateful for some advice.

So I entered into a tenancy contract at the beginning of Jan this year for a short term, 4 month let. I watched an online video viewing and went ahead with the application. Upon viewing the property in person I saw that the whole property (front, roof and rear) was covered in scaffolding. I asked the letting agents why this was there and they told me that the landlord had restoration work planned for the end of our tenancy, hence why it was only a 4 month let. I was happy to go ahead with this assurance.

2 weeks after moving into the property building work started. Builders were up on the roof taking tiles of, drilling, banging and discarding tiles and other debris down into our rear garden. We have two small dogs and fear they would get injured whilst outside in the garden. I immediately spoke with the letting agents who told me the property was managed by the landlord and it must have been a simple miscommunication.

Since then, there has been so much back and forth from the landlord and the letting agents about the condition of the property. The work is constant from 8am - 5pm Monday to Friday and the noise is unbearable, often exceeded legal noise levels. We have cracks and holes in our ceiling as a direct result of falling debris- windows have been smashed and cracked. Our rear garden is unusable due to the complete mess the builders make - who do not clean up - and still our landlord ignores our protests.

We have told the landlord many times that we do not feel safe and the noise and disruption is causing us mental and physical ill health. The landlord is now demanding we move out of the property next week (25th May) as he needs to tear the ceiling down inside the property. The landlord has stated that he will do this regardless of whether we are still in the property or not.

The council have advised that even though the tenancy was marked as a 4 month let, due to the legalities around S21 notices (cannot be issued within first 4 months) by default the tenancy is actually 6 months, giving us until the 25 July to move. The landlord has been threatening, demanding money we do not owe and completely disregarding our health and safety in an attempt to bully us out. We are desperately trying to find another property to rent but we do not work (due to disability) and have two dogs and trying to find a private landlord that will accept us is near impossible.

Any advice and guidance will be hugely appreciated.

Thank you
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X