• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ for utility debt - any chance of set aside?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ for utility debt - any chance of set aside?

Hi there - in serious need of advice on a CCJ which has been filed against me. Apologies for the long post!

This relates to a debt from an energy company whom I had an account with during my second year of university. I closed the account at the end of our tenancy and received a large refund and heard no more about it until a year later. I started getting texts from a debt collection agency for the sum of ~£300 on behalf of Nabuh Energy. As I had heard nothing from the energy company since the refund, I ignored them at first as I thought it was spam. I contacted the agency after a while and they said the debt related to my account with Nabuh Energy from Nov 18 to Oct 19. As I moved out and closed the account in June 19, my assumption was that the debt must relate to the time from Jun-Oct when we had moved out and was therefore an error. I emailed evidence of the tenancy agreement and the refund from the energy company and my account was put on hold while it was looked in to. I did also contact the energy company but they never got back to me. After a month the texts started again and I had to repeat the whole process of asking the agency to establish if I actually owed the money. This time I was told that the account would be put on permanent hold until they had a response from the energy company and would let me know. I said at the time I'd be happy to pay if I owed the money, I just wasn't sure I actually did.

After a long period of hearing nothing, I started getting texts from the agency's solicitor warning of legal proceedings. Admittedly this is where I should have taken things far more seriously but naively I thought these were empty legal threats and so I ignored them for a long time. I did get in touch with the solicitors after a while, explaining the situation and requesting they find out from the energy company what exactly the debt was for. They did put the account on hold again, but what I didn't realise was that they has already started proceedings with the county court at this point. I had no idea what a CCJ was and so didn't take the threat of one seriously. After the texts started again recently I called and discovered that a CCJ had been filed and approved and unfortunately I have just missed the 30 day window to pay. I was not aware of the CCJ hearing as the letter had been sent to my old address, but I had fair warning that it was coming which I ignored. I also finally found out at this time that after crediting me, the energy company found I was actually in debit, hence the debt. I never received any communication of this from the energy company.

I did contact the solicitors today to ask if the client if they would agree for consent to set aside if I paid the debt in full. I'm really not sure they will agree and even if they did I'm not sure I would have a strong enough defence to get it set aside. My only very weak defence is that I didn't receive the actual CCJ notice as it was sent to my old address, although I failed to notify my change of address. I'm bang to rights for this really, I just wish I hadn't buried my head in the sand. I am acting immediately after discovering the CCJ and I genuinely would have paid it had I known it had got to this point.

My only last hope is that I never received a final bill or any communication of the money owed from the energy company. If I could prove this - do I have a chance of getting it set aside? Does the fact I ignored the threats completely void this? I don't want to spend £255 if I have no hope of success.

I am having to come to terms with the fact I may have to suck this up and just pay off the debt to at least have it marked as satisfied. I did pay to check the Registry Trust today and the CCJ is not currently showing which is a bit odd, even when I put in the ref number from Northampton CC. It's really scary facing the fact that this will be on my record for the next six years. I am 22 and just about to finish university, I feel like this could genuinely ruin my life.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X